PDA

View Full Version : Compressor Applications for above 5kW?

JasonW
02-12-2013, 01:26 PM
Hi all,

I'm working on a class project for looking at the trends at compressor capacities and their applications. From what I've read, most compressors for household aircons are generally below 6hp or 4.5kW, and anything above that is usually for commercial, ie shops, offices, usually using VRF, Packaged units, Heat Pumps, etc. Systems (chillers and such) which are above 200kW are usually for industrial refrigeration or for really big buildings.

Here's where I'm confused. I read that the compressors above 5kW and below 200kW could be used for:

1. Cars (Mobile ACs I think they are called? am not sure i read this correctly, it seems like a lot of cooling/heating for a vehicle)
2. Refrigerator trucks (are these the same as containers/reefers below?)
3. Reefers/Containers (just learnt the term on this site! saw that the compressor was arnd 5.5kW for Daikin?)
4. buses and Trains? (something about horizontal vs vertical compressors?)
5. Supermarket Cases/Refrigerated Displays? (I looked through a few refrigeration websites, thought that the capacities for the refrigerated displays were usually below 5kW but as I have no practical experience in this, I have no clue whether it could work?)

It's a rather random selection, but I just went with where I thought cooling/heating would be needed and therefore where compressors could come in. It's the ranges of these applications that's got me confused. I know that it's got to do with how much space you need cooled and all, but refrigeration, heating and cooling all seems to be separate realms by themselves! I hope you guys can help?

macca33
03-12-2013, 08:52 PM
What's your question exactly?

JasonW
05-12-2013, 09:54 AM
Sorry probably got too confusing...

Are 6kW compressors normally used for:
1) refrigerated trucks?
2) ACs for buses?
3) ACs for trains?
4) Supermarket refrigerated displays?
5) Refrigerated containers?

I know it depends on cooling requirements for these, but wondering whether smaller compressors or other systems are used instead? eg. screw chillers for refrigerated displays?