PDA

View Full Version : SB310 40A (F3) fuse blowing - Code 17 = Fail to crank

indycar89
26-11-2013, 06:30 PM
My SB310 has been having an issue with the F3 fuse blowing. Happened once in early October. Under load, stop/start. Somewhere in transit, it's codes 17. Couldn't find a 40amp replacement fuse, so tried a 30 amp - and it worked fine for the next 2 weeks. Unit has been sitting till today.

Upon trying to start, code 17 again. Replaced with proper 40amp - and it blows. Replaced aain with 40 amp and it ran. I let it run about 5 mins, then shut off to button everything up And . . . you guessed it, code 17 again. Now gone through 3 more fuses and have cancelled load.

TK dealer on phone says "it's probably the board". That seems a little bit of a jump.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Dave

clivemtk
26-11-2013, 10:06 PM
fuse3= starter circuit wiring rubbed to earth or fuel soleniod full of oil behind plunger causing mass amp draw

indycar89
27-11-2013, 12:22 AM
fuse3= starter circuit wiring rubbed to earth or fuel soleniod full of oil behind plunger causing mass amp draw

thanks. What would cause the fuel solenoid to fill with oil?

Edit: That looks like the wiring is the J15 engine harness/connector. Is this located behind the battery? Is there anything distinguishing about it to help me identify it?

gravy258
27-11-2013, 07:02 AM
I've had a few SB310 relay failures for the fuel solenoid, causing this fuse to blow.
Wire the fuel solenoid like a carrier, white wire to starter motor (not it's solenoid), make sure you cut the white wire and not splice into it. So then the solenoid will pull in whilst cranking then the red wire will hold it in when running. Works a charm and the micro doesn't detect it.

clivemtk
27-11-2013, 08:19 PM
experience old soleniods and new soleniods dont seam able to seal plunger for longer than 2-3years stems take in oil oil causes high amp draw to pull in plunger gravy has other posibility relay

IRMechanik
28-11-2013, 02:20 PM
experience old soleniods and new soleniods dont seam able to seal plunger for longer than 2-3years stems take in oil oil causes high amp draw to pull in plunger gravy has other posibility relay

Don't see that problem with aftermarket solenoids, all the oil just leaks out the back!

indycar89
29-11-2013, 07:44 PM
Don't see that problem with aftermarket solenoids, all the oil just leaks out the back!

Hmm. An ongoing issues I'd not looked into yet is that after the unit runs for a time, I see oil residue on the front of the trailer under the unit. Can sometimes smell burning oil on inital start up. I always just figured it was just the valve cover gasket leaking.

The fuel solenoid is next to the fuel pump, is that right?

indycar89
01-12-2013, 10:53 PM

I pulled the fuel solenoid - the back looks to be splitting. Would this be due to oil? There is a slight 'gurgle' sound when I push the plunger in. By the visual clue of the back splitting, is this likely to be my issue?

Thanks

Indy

gravy258
02-12-2013, 06:38 AM

I pulled the fuel solenoid - the back looks to be splitting. Would this be due to oil? There is a slight 'gurgle' sound when I push the plunger in. By the visual clue of the back splitting, is this likely to be my issue?

Thanks

Indy

yep, oil is behind the plunger causing the windings inside the solenoid to overheat and expand out the back and the whole thing is knackered.

indycar89
03-12-2013, 04:14 AM
Gravy - Knackered it was! The unit runs like a sewing machine again with the new solenoid!

Clive - Thanks - simple and effective repair!!