PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a Semi-hermetic Compressor

Brian_UK
25-11-2013, 08:34 PM
Just pulled out a Frascold semi, running on R1270, which suffered a major electrical failure.

I haven't seen inside fully yet but the oil looked black and carbonated, windings were well blown according to the endoscope view I had.

Has anyone got any recommendations for the best, and easiest, way of cleaning the compressor internals?

Bearing in mind that the lump weighs over 200kilos I can't easily flip it over to spray around inside. :confused:

monkey spanners
25-11-2013, 09:46 PM
Easiest way would be to send it to rebuilders!

al
25-11-2013, 10:11 PM
Rebuild:))

To change the windings it'll need to be flipped, block and tackle to ceiling, strip heads and base plate while doing windings, re build will probably be cheaper labour wise. For actual cleaning then wd40 and lots of monkey spanners keks or any handy rags.

Brian_UK
25-11-2013, 10:18 PM
Easiest way would be to send it to rebuilders!Welcome to my cheapskate world.:D

monkey spanners
25-11-2013, 10:45 PM
Do what my old boss does and paint it with Hammerite, Fixed!

Rob White
26-11-2013, 08:21 AM
Do what my old boss does and paint it with Hammerite, Fixed!

Including the crank case oil sight glass :D

Rob

monkey spanners
26-11-2013, 12:31 PM
Including the crank case oil sight glass :D

Rob

You've seen his work then! :p

Brian_UK
26-11-2013, 10:09 PM
Our motor rewind guy had pulled the rotor and windings by the time I got to look at it this afternoon.

Seems like one of the bearings has gone because you can 'rock' the shaft up and down; also the the inside of the windings have polish marks where the rotor has been making contact.

Good collection of swarf under the motor, luckily the oil strainer held it back from the crankshaft.

Con-rods coming out tomorrow.

Grizzly
26-11-2013, 10:32 PM
Hi Brian.
I have washed comps out before with Jizer. A hand atomiser and plenty of rags!
Worked well.
It is not a 5 minute job mind!
Lots of nitrogen and deep vacuums will prove no more moisture and be prepared for a couple of oil and filter changes.
But it is do-able!
You can even with care use the nitrogen to air blast the crud away (WEAR OLD GEAR AND GOGGLES MIND!)

good luck.
Grizzly

Brian_UK
26-11-2013, 11:18 PM
Thanks Grizzly,

Luckily the workshop has a parts washer so I'm going hang the body over the washer and hopefully get the worst out that way.