PDA

View Full Version : Hotpoint Mistral Fan problems :<

Johnthechef
07-03-2006, 12:28 PM
I have a HOtpoint Mistral and during the course of last night the fan was making excruciating shrieking noises. Living on Lanzarote (not alwys so good, weather is crap at the moment) there is always a lot of dust and sand in the air, so not too surprised. Ive taken the back off, and cleared the dust, but i would like to strip donw the fan. Ive got the fan frame out, but unsure of how to disconnect the fan wiring from the main block. Any advice would be much appreciated, is there a manual somewhere? I have the tools to do the work, my business was computers in the UK so able to handle the task, I hope.
Any help would be appreciated, ill owe you a beer if you come out for a day or two :D

Brian_UK
07-03-2006, 06:54 PM
Are the wires long enough to allow you the cut them and then splice them together again with crimp connectors?

old gas bottle
07-03-2006, 09:15 PM
think there a open winding motor,just oil both end bearings,they normaly are pretty strong,dont take it to bits,its makes things worse.

chillin out
07-03-2006, 09:53 PM
Hi and welcome,

You will never be able to repair the fan motor as the bearings will have worn.

The best thing to do is get a new motor, but be carefull, depending on what age the unit is you may have to buy a lot more besides the fan!!!!

If you do get a new fan and want to fit it let me know as there is ways of getting round any problems.

(you didn`t used to live in Wales did you??"

Chillin:) :)

Johnthechef
08-03-2006, 10:40 AM
Many Thanks, managed to get the thing out yesterday, without splitting the wires as well. A dab of oil and it seemed to work fine after that. However it still seems to be stopping and starting, is that right?? Im guessing it should be. But erring on the side of caution, Im going to get a new fan. Any ideas where I can get one? Pints for all best asnwers.
Hiyas Chillin, sorry, home town was bit of a black hole between Brighton and Eastbourne called Seaford.
Many thanks for your help guys

John

MKR
10-03-2006, 09:01 AM
The fan is wired to the compressor, switching on and off with the compressor.

Johnthechef
10-03-2006, 10:09 AM
Latest update on one squeaky disfunctionla fan, a dab of WD40, and it seems to be hanging on in there, and running as good as new. Its starting and stopping as it should so going well. But, I guess its probably on its last legs and I would be happier with a new fan. Any suggestions where I could get one, Ive searched on the net, but no luck. Pints for all :D

frank
10-03-2006, 03:28 PM
Hi John

Speak to these guys - they deliver anywhere in the world.
You may have to register to gain access to the catalogue but I'm sure you will find what you want.
http://www.srw.co.uk/

chillin out
10-03-2006, 09:26 PM
The fan is wired to the compressor, switching on and off with the compressor.
AH! its the cond fan motor.

Any 10w multifit motor that you can fit on will do.

Chillin:) :)

MKR
11-05-2006, 02:02 PM
I would be careful not to fit a fan motor that would increase the load on the PCB if I was you. On the early Mistrals, replacing the fan motor with the revised motor (or was it vise versa, newer model with old fan motor) would result in the PCB failing.

I have a Hotpoint bulletin some where warning about this.

Bonzaco
04-06-2006, 04:03 PM
Sorry Ive only just joined - there is a modification kit for this condenser fan motor that cured the problem. If you need part numbers drop a note.