PDA

View Full Version : Waste Heat Recovery from Ammonia chiller condenser (ICE PLANT)

jchuayap
19-11-2013, 08:04 AM
Hello, i have been reading these forums for quite some time and all your discussions has helped me alot. My name is Johann and I work for a company that sells absorption chillers in the Philippines. Currently, there are very little applications for this kind of chiller in the Philippines so I am trying to explore new applications hoping to market our chillers better.

This is my first post ever. Please excuse my ignorance. I am a marketing person and have very little engineering background. If this post sounds too naive, please tell it to my face and tell me to look for another career. ;)

So, in the PI we have a lot of ice making plants. These plants use Ammonia chillers to make ice. Since they are rejecting so much heat from water to make ice, a lot of heat is rejected through the chiller condensers.

My question is, from your initial impressions without going into details, is it worth pursuing to recover this waste heat from the condensers to drive a hot-water driven absorption to pre cool the water that will be used to make the ice blocks.

The absorption chiller needs about 90Deg C as heat source. Is there a way to configure the ammonia chillers to reject heat at this temperature in order to drive the absorption chiller? At this input temperature, chilled water can go down to 7Deg C.

Im thinking it could yield two benefits.

1.) Decrease the time in making ice thus increasing plant capacity.
2.) Decrease size of ammonia chillers thus saving electricity costs.

Your opinions are highly sought after.Thanks!