PDA

View Full Version : No condensing of refrigerant in condenser coil

Backyardactech
16-11-2013, 09:04 PM
Greetings all:

I've been a silent reader of this forum for quite some time now, so I wanted to start by saying thanks to all the contributors. I hope I chose the right forum in stead of troubleshooting, because this system is "practically" working, but maybe not technically

I have a brand new system of a Copeland condensing unit, 1/2 HP running two banks of evaporators in a prep table. There are three evaps per bank, each bank is controlled with a remote temp control and liquid line solenoid and cycles on low pressure

The condenser sets beneath the table, in the kitchen with ambient temperatures from 70-85F. The coil is about 6" from the inside wall of the table so it has 6" of clearance in front of the coil, three feet to the left, and six feet to the right. I did a smoke test to visualize the air flow across the coil and it seems to be fine as far as pulling fresh air across the coil. At first I thought I would have to cut an airway in front of the coil, and this is still an option

When charging the system, I was unable to ever get any subcooling of the refrigerant. For example, my saturation temp would be say 103F, and the refrigerant coming out of the coil was 104-105, so it wasn't even condensing. Barring the air flow issue I couldn't think of another reason this could happen.

R404a
1/2 HP
1/2" suction lines
3/8" liquid
Two dryers, two sight glasses after the two liquid line solenoids.
Left bank is 3 evaporator coils with two fans each
Right bank is 3 evaporators with two fans each.
Unit is cooling, but I don't want compressor issues
Amp draw is ok
At install, proper refrigeration practices were followed, so go easy on me :)

Thanks in advance
David Abram
7 years experience, no formal training

marc5180
16-11-2013, 10:20 PM
First question would be, is there enough refrigerant in the system? With low condenser Subcooling then it's a possibility that the system is short.
More information is required otherwise we can only guess.

For a start, can you provide these figures?

Air on/off evaporator
Air on/off condenser
Saturated suction temperature
Saturated condensing temperature
Superheat?

RANGER1
16-11-2013, 11:19 PM
Accurate instruments also make a difference to determining whats going on as well.
If not most of the results mean nothing!

joe-ice
16-11-2013, 11:20 PM
If its a standard condensing unit with receiver directly after condenser feeding txv valves then you wont read any subcooling on account of the saturated condition in the receiver. Your thermometer is possibly reading out as if it was not condensing it also would not be refrigerating.For compressor life cool air is king so best option would be to move the condensing unit outdoors.Is this a standard unit as most integral cabinets have their units under them but their condensers and fans are sized and set up for indoor life.

passandscore
17-11-2013, 12:43 AM
Is the unit equipped with a headmaster control? Perhaps you are bypassing the condenser completely and just need to add more gas.

See attached for more information.

RANGER1
17-11-2013, 07:01 AM
Without pressures etc as marc has requested we know very little.
If its not condensing it would not refrigerate, either cut out on HP, go out on overload or blow up.

Backyardactech
17-11-2013, 08:58 PM
Thanks for all the replies thus far. I'll check back in on this equipment after the weekend and answer all of the questions you all brought up. I could answer them now but I'd rather get confirmed numbers to avoid speculation

The MG Pony
15-03-2014, 06:19 PM
All so subcooling and super heat are only valid once at a stable opperating temp, other wise you're chasing a white rabbit on meth! (little guy going to be fast!)

is there a sight glass on the system?