PDA

View Full Version : fractured plastic pipe/ester oil

still learning
11-11-2013, 04:59 PM
good afternoon folks.
have a odd question ?
has anyone come across pvc 1 1/4 and fittings , fracturing . to be fair the pipe is about around ten years old and used as a condensate line under a floor for a denco unit.
our tech man , did find a repot online from america , stating that ester oil and pvc pipe should not be used as the oil attacks the pipe and fittings .
and goes on to say that i t will/can happen with 410 a .
and only to use copper condensate pipes . the unit we are looking at is on 407c.
( we are aware that the coil may of failed )

still learning
13-11-2013, 06:00 PM
our tech man , has being having a experiment with the remains of some fittings , dipped in ester oil .
one of the test samples has cracked on a glue joint , whilst in the oil .

i know it sounds a bit far fetched , but its happened .
i am suprised that there are no replies , and hope someone out there had come across this problem. admittedly it will only happen when the evaporater fails

install monkey
17-11-2013, 10:24 PM
http://www.plumbase.com/tprod99800/section2072/polypipe-32mm-knuckle-bend-90deg-wps15.html
use compression fittings on the plastic drain- no glue,no cracks:p

still learning
23-11-2013, 05:26 PM
thats a very good idea , install monkey.
many thanks for the reply.

The Viking
23-11-2013, 11:52 PM
OK,
I will as the obvious question...

What is the oil doing in the drain pipe in the first place???

:rolleyes:

install monkey
23-11-2013, 11:54 PM
its a denco- they come with the optional leaking coils:eek:

OK,
I will as the obvious question...

What is the oil doing in the drain pipe in the first place???

:rolleyes:

still learning
24-11-2013, 04:52 PM
install monkey is correct viking .
they do come with optional leaking coils . this unit is quite old , but did hear of quite new ones failing .
it got into the drain via the condensate tray and can just be seen ( oil mist) floating in the humidifier drain pan too . sadly its not possible to get the side panel off as when it was installed (by others it was stuck tight to the wall, its also doubt full the there is room to remove the evaporator for the top .
still they are not as bad as some manufacturers coils . which had a spate of failing outdoor coils .