PDA

View Full Version : Trane Transport Refrigerated units

wilt
08-11-2013, 09:05 PM
Hi,
To anyone out there in this industry,a long while ago Circa late 70,s early 80,s while i was in South Africa,I worked for a Company called Grasso Grenco who were the dealers at the time for Thermoking Refrigerated Transport.At this time the SNWD was at it infancy,can not remember Over cab units but remember Petters.The point i am tryingto get to is,i remember at that time Trane were trying to breakthrough into Transport Refrigeration.Trane had developed a Nose mount Trailer unit similar to the latter NWD,Carrier ThunderBird.Does anyone remember these as i recall having a interview with Trane in South Africa and being shown around their Workshop at the units ready for Installation.

clivemtk
08-11-2013, 09:09 PM
how old do you think we are

wilt
08-11-2013, 09:13 PM
Ha,ha Clive not as old as you, they was still cartin ice around insulated by straw when you started out!

cadwaladr
11-11-2013, 02:28 AM
ah the beloved snwd remembered once more never heard of a trane,the old pdl with the belts snapping every week shame because if the bmc 1500 started it was a great unit,how many of us nickes them badges off the snwd to put on the snap on tool box?

wilt
11-11-2013, 07:25 PM
Oh yes,luved the smell of crank cracker in the mornin,when it started,smelt like victory!

Oregonbythesea
18-11-2013, 04:55 PM
I am that old that I remember looking inside one that I came across on the Oregon Coast. I didn't think they would last long because the only thing in it that wasn't Transicold was the compressor. I was right. That has been the problem with all those that have tried to compete with the two big guys, a copy is still a copy. Why buy a copy when you can get the original for the same price? Now, all new electric units (eTRU) are a different story. I believe they will be the future of transport refrigeration.

wilt
18-11-2013, 05:38 PM
Thanks Oregonbythesea,i am surprised that no one else has remembered them especially those fridge guys in South Africa,and the likes of them that installed them,i should imagine that most of them fridges have gone to fridge heaven,but would still like to see if there is any still floating around,maybe a photo or something?

Oregonbythesea
18-11-2013, 05:49 PM
I do remember that the compressor was an aluminum block unit that I thought was built by Trane. In all the years since then, I only ever saw that one unit. They had the same problem as Mitsubishi, Zanotti and all the rest in that they all look the same and all have a engine driving them. All these units are basically the same as the ones that TK started with 75 years ago, an engine driving a compressor with some belts to run the fans. There have been a lot of changes, rpm increases mostly, and cosmetic, but mostly same old stuff. At least the parts are probably still available from Transicold for those units.

wilt
18-11-2013, 07:19 PM
Yeah your right about how they copy each others prints,but im also suprised that Mitsubishi fell at the first hurdle,being Japanese and all,as they seem to be pretty swithched on when it comes to the electrics & mechanical engineering?I know all about Zanotti engineering as spent 2 1/2 years at Hubbard doing Direct Drives,hah

IRMechanik
18-11-2013, 10:02 PM
Zanotti engineering?
Thanks wilt, you just made coffee come out my nose.

wilt
19-11-2013, 06:34 PM
Hah,ha that term engineering i used very loosely IRMechanik,may as well get a refill lol!