PDA

View Full Version : Terminology.....

reefermadness
05-03-2006, 03:29 AM
I am going to assume that "Engineer" means technician? Well, i still like to think of myself as a mechanic. Trying to get used to all the different words.... like "mobile engineer". That actually sounds like something that iwould like to be! Here, its reefer mechanic or technician as my license now has a sticker over. What is the going rate for a qualified mobile engineer over there? In canada its roughly 25 dollars cdn an hour or 22 dollars american.

Too many questions thanks a lot for any input,

Reefermadness:rolleyes:

hiitsme
12-03-2006, 09:55 PM
Hi

what is "over there"? My salary is about 1000 USD/month. Come here and you'll find that 5 (five) USD for an hour can be called as average (if you're qualified) - okay, this is the dark side of the union!!! Hmmm, hmmmmm, why do I want to work somewhere else....????

Here (in Hungary) an engineer means univ.degree.

We are no more than mechanics, pal...

The "mobile engineer" means:
- a mechanic who travels from site-to site????
OR
- a mechanic who works on mobile refrigeration units such as trucks and trains????

I think that my info is not too useful for you....sorry for that...but at least my answer in the category of "any input".

Dan
13-03-2006, 04:57 AM
It is not so much a difference in terminology as it is a difference in expectations.

And translating our terminology regarding money is an exercise in futility.

Technician. That's what we call ourselves who turn the wrenches in the States. SA and the Brits use the term "Engineer" for some good reasons. They have high standards for the people who turn the wrenches.

Mechanic is an honorable term, too. "Engineer" connotes advanced education.

"Service tech" is the poor soul we call at 4 am on Sunday.

duncan
10-04-2006, 02:56 PM
South Africa is still technician. Hope that the term engineer passes sooner thatn later!!! I have met enough engineers that cant fix a refigeration problem and they are supposed to be refrigeration engineers.

guapo
10-04-2006, 03:37 PM
Same here (Philippines) engineer is like a clerk, they do mostly paper works and documentation. Technician do all the dirty work and engineer got all the merit, because they do all the reports.

Guapo

nova
10-04-2006, 06:16 PM
In Finland it goes like this:

- Mechanic (this is the guy who's working without any degree)
- Technician = Mechanic + about 2 years of studies
- Engineer = Technician + about 3 years of studies

Still, when talking in English, I usually use just technician.

Regards
Nova

Dan
12-04-2006, 01:41 AM
Technician is my word of choice for all of my people in the field. I actually use the word "tech".

vijay_study
12-04-2006, 08:30 AM
Hi All,

In India the definition is something like this:

Engineer:

Person who designs the refrigeration system. He is aware of the original hardware only through catalogues. Rarely gets chance to go to site. In case he does it only for doing paper work.

Technician

He is a person who go to site does the work, however does not know if the system is this way, why it is this way. He follows the drawings.

So i think the best combination is a engineer technician. One who has 4 years of studies + 5 years of experience.

What do you think??