PDA

View Full Version : Oldest Unit u've worked on

reefermadness
04-03-2006, 10:39 PM
What's the oldest unit you have worked on? For me, it was a 1961 Thermo King SLR 50 series. It had a Wakasha gas engine that was converted to propane. The engine was seized, so it was chucked and now its running just electric, but still running mind you.

It feels like in a museum some times.

reefermadness:eek:

US Iceman
05-03-2006, 12:09 AM
York vertical ammonia compressor, two cylinders circa 1920. Two were installed in a block ice plant with bare pipe coils on the ceiling for ice storage.

phil68
05-03-2006, 12:32 AM
I used to maintain & repair a brick-built room at Lucas in Birmingham that was built in 1952. It had a temp. range of -40 deg.C to +50 deg.C & was used to test vehicles to see if they'd restart in arctic conditions & test vehicle A/C to see if it worked in desert conditions etc. The wall insulation was in the brick cavity -Vermiculite:eek: I'd quite often have to suit-up in arctic survival gear to go in & carry out works when it was running at -40, but not for long because the breath starts to freeze in your nasal cavity & gets a bit painful after about 20 mins. at that temp.:) It had a big belt-drive compound compressor running on R12 with brass gauges on a fascia panel -more akin to a ship's engine room:) That was pulled-down in the late 90's but the most recent one was when I did a maintenance on a church ducted A/C recently -it was a Carrier unit installed in 1976 with a mercury thermostat:eek: & still working perfectly.

reefermadness
05-03-2006, 03:33 AM
Working in the cold is a *******. try changing water pumps, alts, belts you name it at that ambient. The only good news is that it might not be in the dark, but when its that cold there is only maybe seven hours of light a day. Your only friend is a tiger torch for the old units or regular gas axe to heat up whatever you are working on.

reefermadness
05-03-2006, 03:33 AM
Working in the cold is a *******. try changing water pumps, alts, belts you name it at that ambient. The only good news is that it might not be in the dark, but when its that cold there is only maybe seven hours of light a day. Your only friend is a tiger torch for the old units or regular gas axe to heat up whatever you are working on.

rbartlett
05-03-2006, 08:29 AM
you can say that again!!

cheers

richard

Peter_1
05-03-2006, 12:30 PM
1960, ***** pump system

reefermadness
06-03-2006, 02:36 AM
Anybody with mobile?

alpha
06-03-2006, 12:59 PM
The oldest unit, does being 10y/o and walking around a yard of petter dy making sure they started/checking batteries count?