PDA

View Full Version : York Millenium Screw Chiller

iceman007
28-02-2006, 07:44 PM
Does anyone have fault codes for one of these chillers. Apparently, the code is showing as Low curr/HP/MP fault on the status panel.

Thanks

(it's 2 screw compressors-one circuit is OK)

al
28-02-2006, 10:19 PM
Iceman

no fault codes as such, what you see is what you get. this is a very common fault, covers motor overload(black box in compressor control cabinet0, high pressure cutout, 2 switches on compressor, one with recessed button even when tripped.
They had a problem with the star delta contactors "bouncing" on start up and tripping the unit out:D
Your start circuit is to the HP first i think
Hope this helps
AL

iceman007
28-02-2006, 11:54 PM
Thanks for that. I have to go there tomorrow to look at it. Apparently it's been going on for some time. One of the previous visits had found some sort of problem with condenser fans I think.

Cheers

jpumarada
04-04-2006, 09:22 PM
Low corrent/MP/HP is the most comon fault and is for 3 resson.
1.HP: High pressure in the sensor body of the compressor.
2. MP: Motor Protection Modules (2ACE) in the system Power Panel. This module protects against phase to phase current imbalance, over corrent, under current, phase rotation and thermal current motor overload protection.
Hope this help.

Magic
29-08-2007, 06:36 PM
Hi Guys
This is my first time writing on this forum and i am a rookie working with industrial equipments. I was hoping one of you guys can explain to me which is the correct method to remove oil from a screw compressor from a york millemium chiller.This system also has two oil separators. I would really appreciate your help,dont know where to start.:confused::confused:

iceman007
29-08-2007, 08:26 PM
Hi Guys
This is my first time writing on this forum and i am a rookie working with industrial equipments. I was hoping one of you guys can explain to me which is the correct method to remove oil from a screw compressor from a york millemium chiller.This system also has two oil separators. I would really appreciate your help,dont know where to start.:confused::confused:

Close the service valves, recover refrigerant and pressure the crankcase with nitrogen (just a few psi) and connect a line to the oil port, crack open the valve and derain the oil.

Lowrider
30-08-2007, 09:57 PM
Close the service valves, recover refrigerant and pressure the crankcase with nitrogen (just a few psi) and connect a line to the oil port, crack open the valve and derain the oil.

That's taking the long road home!! Most don't even have service valves and you'll have to evacuate it afterwards!

Shut system down and turn off the power. Put a line from the separator to your recycle cilinder on the liquid valve. Take a second line from the vapour valve to your recovery unit and a third from the recovery unit back to the chiller. Put the cilinder on a scale and if it's not going up anymore , or it's going down you've recoved the oil without loosing next to nothing of the refrigirant charge. Do keep in mind that the cilinder will have to be large enough to hold all the oil. Then take a oil charging pump and pump in the amount of oil you've recovered and just a little more, not less, not too much. Be carefull not to get any air in it!!!!

Then put the cilinder upside down and blow the oil out, using ofn from the liquid side to the vapour side. Have the cilinder cleaned if the oil is really dirty or you can't get all out!

Good luck!

iceman007
30-08-2007, 11:02 PM
That's taking the long road home!! Most don't even have service valves and you'll have to evacuate it afterwards!

Shut system down and turn off the power. Put a line from the separator to your recycle cilinder on the liquid valve. Take a second line from the vapour valve to your recovery unit and a third from the recovery unit back to the chiller. Put the cilinder on a scale and if it's not going up anymore , or it's going down you've recoved the oil without loosing next to nothing of the refrigirant charge. Do keep in mind that the cilinder will have to be large enough to hold all the oil. Then take a oil charging pump and pump in the amount of oil you've recovered and just a little more, not less, not too much. Be carefull not to get any air in it!!!!

Then put the cilinder upside down and blow the oil out, using ofn from the liquid side to the vapour side. Have the cilinder cleaned if the oil is really dirty or you can't get all out!

Good luck!

Out of interest, where would you connect the third line on the chiller, to the compressor ? or discharge line?

Lowrider
31-08-2007, 07:25 PM
I usually do, or the condensor/liquid line.

jpumarada
05-09-2007, 10:16 PM

That procedures is OK, but always remained oil in the system, thi systems have 5 gallon of oil and for this procedures out only 3 gallon.
Now I connet a line to the oil port and with the compressor run open the valve and drain the oil, for this procedures out of compressore 4 gallon, donīt worry if compressor run with low oil, the protection stop the compressor.
After charge the oil (5gallon) and 1 hour after check the oil level and plug or charge if need.
This is may way to do.

haitham_york
19-03-2009, 08:52 PM
, I have a question I would like to answer it. I want screw chiller replacing the entrance and exit of water from the right to the left. Is much as possible in the case of non-response please provide me the title of the York factory screw. thanks

paulbraz
16-06-2009, 05:10 PM
I have had the same fault on a york YASX0331, low current /mp/hp. checked the two hp switches all the way back to the compressor terminal box, they are made. Motor winding thermistor seem fine... The CT has error codes saying 8 = phase loss (not true, all phases are there) 4 = Miswire (also not true) changed the CT over from the other circuit and the same faults come up. The windings on the compressor seem fine... Changed the compressor boards over then smashed my head up against a brick wall for about an hour and still no joy. No literature or wiring diagrams on site, called york's (johnson's) technical support, no answer, left a couple of messages (no reply, no shocks there then). There appears to be a main board and then a slave board above that, could it be either of those? Please, someone help, my head hurts!

Yuri B.
16-06-2009, 06:00 PM
Dont know about that York, however, are all three phases present at exactly a/the controller's imputs?

Entropie
16-06-2009, 09:46 PM
The three phase module senses current through the built in ct`s and transfers it as a 0-5V signal to the micro board. The only reason on a "good" module to trip on phase loss is, that there is no current sensed on one or two phases while the remaining one(s) do. Does the compressor start? How quickly after start does the problem occur? (refer to the fault history buffer). Have you checked the condition of the motor contactors (contacts), some might be worn out.

Grizzly
16-06-2009, 09:49 PM
I have had the same fault on a york YASX0331, low current /mp/hp. checked the two hp switches all the way back to the compressor terminal box, they are made. Motor winding thermistor seem fine... The CT has error codes saying 8 = phase loss (not true, all phases are there) 4 = Miswire (also not true) changed the CT over from the other circuit and the same faults come up. The windings on the compressor seem fine... Changed the compressor boards over then smashed my head up against a brick wall for about an hour and still no joy. No literature or wiring diagrams on site, called york's (johnson's) technical support, no answer, left a couple of messages (no reply, no shocks there then). There appears to be a main board and then a slave board above that, could it be either of those? Please, someone help, my head hurts!

Entropie may be onto something check your HP switches again.
One of the to ground will play havock with the 5v supplied!
Grizzly

Magoo
17-06-2009, 02:26 AM
RF noise can also upset the processor, check grounding of each sensor. Also CT's can go out of balance.
magoo

fsfox
20-12-2009, 12:03 AM
Ck contactor contacts, Repco, New Jersey has ABB

frang55
14-06-2010, 05:39 PM
Does anyone have fault codes for one of these chillers. Apparently, the code is showing as Low curr/HP/MP fault on the status panel.

Thanks

(it's 2 screw compressors-one circuit is OK)
Check compressor mains supply, fuses, contactors and wiring.Check mains supply voltage is within tolerance. Check for defective current transformer. Good luck

goshen
14-06-2010, 06:43 PM
Hi u might not have a choice you will have to probably change the ct protection module ( toroied) ,
these toroied controls do go bad !:D.

nadsalamut
14-01-2011, 09:43 PM
i woild like to know how to charge screw chiller with R407c? pleae help

monkey spanners
14-01-2011, 10:11 PM
Is it a water chiller?

Does it have a data plate with the correct charge on it?

iceman007
15-01-2011, 06:08 AM
i woild like to know how to charge screw chiller with R407c? pleae help

If you don't know how to charge it you shouldn't be working on it

Grizzly
15-01-2011, 12:09 PM
If you don't know how to charge it you shouldn't be working on it

Harsh.
But I have to admit to thinking the same.
:)
Grizzly

setrite
15-01-2011, 07:58 PM
Low Current/MP/HP is mostly caused due to High Pressure trip, there is a a dual HP switch installed on the compressor with a little blue push button, try to reset that. Check the MP module in the starter panel incase it shows some numbers then it is the cause of the trip. Or simply your compressor circuit breaker could be tripping which will cause the controller to trip indicating Low Current/MP/HP. Can also be caused by a high starting current due to stuck slide valve.

nadsalamut
15-01-2011, 08:13 PM
its water chilled. i know that the liquid r407c has to be connected to the condenser line, close the valve and let the cylinder in the inverted position. is it correct?

monkey spanners
15-01-2011, 08:46 PM
its water chilled. i know that the liquid r407c has to be connected to the condenser line, close the valve and let the cylinder in the inverted position. is it correct?

R407C needs to leave the cylinder as a liquid so that the mix of different gasses it is made of stay correctly mixed. This will not happen if it leaves the bottle as a gas and may cause problems in the chillers operation.

So basically it needs to leave the bottle as a liquid, it depends on the cylinder if it needs to be inverted, some have a dip tube that goes from the tap to the bottom of the cylinder to save turning it over, only you can tell what type of cylinder you have.

Now the other problem you need to be very careful of is that if you dump liquid into the system you risk freezing the water in the evaporator/condensor until the system pressure is high enough so that any liquid refrigerant is above 0C. Look it up on a pressure temperature chart for R407C.

Jon :)

iceman007
16-01-2011, 12:56 AM

You only need to invert the cylinder if there is no dip tube. R407C is a blend of R32, R125 and R134a, so if you take out a vapour the R32 will evporate first and that is what you will get in your chiller, EXCEPT if you are using the entire cylinder.

Connect a line to the liquid side and run the water pumps in manual. You will need to make sure the heaters are on as well and the oil is up to temperature before the machine can start. Get some load on it and keep a close eye on the approach. For a flooded evaporator it will need to be under 1 degree. Also if you are having any oil issues (which can happen at part load) then current limit the chiller to raise the discharge superheat and watch it very carefully. Take a running log of the chiller.

Grizzly I am harsh which is why I have got no friends, apart from the odd long distance one, but if there is a question about how to charge the machine, I can smell a damage bill. Sniff Sniff !!!!