PDA

View Full Version : Restricted Heat Exchanger

Abe
27-10-2001, 10:20 PM
Cellar cooling system . Evaporator iced up, landlord tried to break off the ice with a screwdriver and wham, pierced a nice hole in a tube.
Fitted new drier and started up the unit. System low pressure went into a deep vacuum. I thought , well there must be moisture , ice water ingress and expansion valve is frozen up, but after delivering some warmth to the valve system remained in deep vacuum. Then I noticed ice, frost on the liquid exit from the heat exchanger. I remember reading somewhere that these components are prone to damage. I bypassed the heat exchanger.
How common is this problem and whats the cause?

Abe
28-10-2001, 11:18 PM
Hello Marc,

This cellar has no system pump down, interconnected by thermostat. Therefore no solonoid valve either. Condensing Unit situated on a horizontal line approx 10 metres away. Condensing Unit Prestcold 1 hp unit. Liquid line 3/8" Low side 5/8"
Probably sizes dont matter but Ive put them in just so you get picture. Heat exchanger located just before evaporator.

I wonder what was happening in the system for this to happen. System is about ten years old, maybe a touch more. Anyway just glad I found the problem and sorted. Thx for your help Marc

Abe