PDA

View Full Version : inside walkin box has high condensation

mk98064
18-09-2013, 04:24 AM
As Im am having a water intrusion problem under walk in box getting to the floor, what causes condensation to build up and have water beading down the inside box panels? Now the water is getting through the flooring under the box and to the framing below. Need help finding the water source

hookster
18-09-2013, 07:51 AM
Hi I would suggest that your vapour barrier has failed at some point.
Check your seams between panels or the common culprit the electrician with a hole saw. Although I am seeing more and more walk in's badly constructed or to be accurate poorly assembled. Also ensure condensate lines are water tight by pouring water into drains and proving clear with no leaks.

Or your box refrigeration system was incorrectly designed for the product respiration rate and the door opening is too frequent for design.

Probably the easiest is to thermally scan box from outside for thermal leakage.

mikeref
18-09-2013, 10:15 AM
Coldroom insulation saturated or door seal perished. I could go further and say the evaporator was oversized or the insulation is the wrong thickness. Guessing this is a cold storage and not a freezer.
Ditto hookster.;)

mikeref
18-09-2013, 10:29 AM
Check around the exterior panels and see if there is condensation or mould. Sure sign of water-logged, or failed panel insulation...
Side note. Some Aussies have cold-rooms out in the open. No shelter from the elements apart from a few pieces of corrugated iron over the top. May as well make the room into a green house.:rolleyes:

hookster
18-09-2013, 11:12 AM
Check around the exterior panels and see if there is condensation or mould. Sure sign of water-logged, or failed panel insulation...
Side note. Some Aussies have cold-rooms out in the open. No shelter from the elements apart from a few pieces of corrugated iron over the top. May as well make the room into a green house.:rolleyes:

:o Ha ha Mike, there is a lot more money to be made from that type of horticulture than a poor fridge fixing a customers rubbish! who still cant appreciate why some times cheap means CHEAP!

mk98064
20-09-2013, 06:38 PM
Thanks Hookster, I had previously reinsulated suction line that travers on top of box to remote compressor and a fire sprinkler line that iced of bad and seems to thaw leaving water puddle on top of box besides top of box frosts up. I had first assumed that the water was getting down to the floor through the panesl seams. I have sealed them with roof sealant tape and was confidant that would work, still getting leakage and also was not sure about the band of water drops inside the box along the roof top. We are to replace these boxe in 3 months but needd to stop water intrusion before too much water damage. I believe the heavy condensation is abnormal, correct
Thanks

mk98064
20-09-2013, 06:42 PM
Yes I believe the insulation is saturated and it is cold storage next to freezer,,,,,,,Thank you,,,,,,,just replied to Hookster

hookster
20-09-2013, 06:53 PM
The band of water beads across the ceiling is a very good sign you are getting far too much warm air infiltration which is condensing on the cool box.
The freezing of you sprinkler line sounds very worrying?
sounds like an old rock wool panels that are totally saturated.

mk98064
19-10-2013, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the clues. Now that the walkin boxes and freezer box is to be replaced with new and I repair damaged floor. Rather than just setting boxes on the vinyl is it typical to have is sit on some other substrate or pan to prevent any damage from any leaks?