PDA

View Full Version : Mixing split system components.

stts
13-09-2013, 11:07 AM
We bought a 20 ton AC system at auction. It has 4 5 ton r22 condensors and an air handler with 4 ***** hookups. The system is 20 years old and my boss is the one that bought all this stuff but I didnt argue because we gonna have cheap AC in our plant for the first time ever. Then I woke up from my dream. :) Anyways, the copper air handler is in fine shape. Like it was a clean room cooler. The condensors is another matter. They are Trane aluminum coil units and the coils are full of pin holes. So we see no point to servicing these condensors when brand new Goodmans with copper coils are on Ebay in endless supply at $1200each. Boss aint happy but new r22 condensors is a win situation. We got tons of r22. Anyways, I got fed a line of potential BS from the AC supply store selling the units. They have a 5 year warranty only if we buy a matching air handler from them that matches the 13seer these new compressors have. Say What???? Seer has nothing to do with the air handler they way I understand it. We got 20 tons of condensor that is cooled by 20 tons of air handler. Tons 20 years ago is the same as tons today. That guy is telling me that our 8 seer system has an air handler thats too small for the 13 seer condensors they are selling, so theres no warranty unless we buy an all new air handler. I think hes full of crap. Seer is the amount of electric power it takes to make 20 tons happen. Long ago it took lots more electric for 20 tons. But 20 tons was still 20 tons. Is there something I missed in my AC education? We already hooked everything up and the only thing leaking is those 4 condensors. Shut the ***** valves off and the airhandler keeps the pressure its got. The dealer claims the handler wont be able to vaporize all the ***** sent to it. If it was a problem, we could drop down to 4 4 ton units, or maybe even under charge the system. I just dont see that the dealer is making any sense other than trying to sell us what we dont need, thinking we are ignorant. I aint Einstein, but I ant no dummy either. What say you all?

install monkey
13-09-2013, 11:58 AM
it it uses return air then there will be a constant load- if operating on fresh air- then u need a stat to disable cooling if ambient below say 16deg-(free cooling and prevents liq flood back and coils freezing)
as for warranty then usually in uk u have to but entire system for 12 mth warranty
buy 1 outdoor and try it- u could then if theres issues then hook it up to 2 circuits(1/2 the capacity)