PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know any refrigeration engineers in london uk that will do modifications?

iceman31
12-09-2013, 04:41 PM
Hi

I have been looking for a freezer engineer in London that will modify my freezer to make it freeze slower but no luck. Most of the ones I find online say they do repairs and not modifications.

I found this one: http://www.refrigerationengineers-nts.co.uk/ however they don't ever seem to return my calls.

Anybody know of any in London uk? Is there some place I can find a list of companies that would do modifications?

Thanks

hookster
12-09-2013, 05:37 PM
You can consult the http://www.acr-news.com/marketplace/

To be honest unless your fridge freezer is pretty special you are really wasting your time. You are wanting a bespoke system design.

The Viking
12-09-2013, 05:43 PM
The problem is in what you are asking for, you don't need a refrigeration engineer but instead a R&D facility.

If you are asking an engineer to modify it, how will he price the job? Are you willing to pay per hour regardless of the end result?
Who will guarantee the end result? How will the end result be measured?

In theory, I would be able to do it practically but I could never sell it to you commercially...

Happy Hunting.

:cool:

Alistair Surrey
14-09-2013, 12:50 AM
You need to be more specific!!!

iceman31
18-09-2013, 05:08 PM
You need to be more specific!!!

Initially, all I want is someone to take a normal domestic/commercial freezer e.g. freestanding cabinet and just change it so that I can set any temperatures I want e.g. -2, -3 and so on. Can you direct me to someone who will come and do it for me properly but as cheap as possible.

Thanks.

hookster
18-09-2013, 06:16 PM
Cheap option is to do it yourself!
Replace mechanical thermostat for an electronic thermostat

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Q-Digital-Electronic-Temperature-Control-Controller-Thermostat-220V-Digital-LCD-/141028215156?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item20d5efc974

choose where you want to place probe, in airstream / evaporator coil whatever you have! to control air off evaporator, in cabinet off air stream / away from evaporator to control chamber temperature.

Shoved inside whatever you want to cool to control product temperature, adjust depth of insertion etc. to your hearts content.

Use set point control setting as desired!

Rob White
18-09-2013, 08:17 PM

If you bring it to me in Slough I'll have a look at it for you over a couple of
evenings (in my spare time) I live out of a hotel down there so a couple of late
nights won't do me any harm.

No guarantees it will work and if it fails miserably I will accept no responsibility :D

If you want to do this then PM me.

Regards

Rob

hookster
18-09-2013, 08:29 PM
:D I hope he takes you up on that Bob. Best offer around and a lot of knowledge for free!
and hope his next question is whats your favourite tipple.

iceman31
18-09-2013, 09:26 PM
Cheap option is to do it yourself!
Replace mechanical thermostat for an electronic thermostat

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Q-Digital-Electronic-Temperature-Control-Controller-Thermostat-220V-Digital-LCD-/141028215156?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item20d5efc974

choose where you want to place probe, in airstream / evaporator coil whatever you have! to control air off evaporator, in cabinet off air stream / away from evaporator to control chamber temperature.

Shoved inside whatever you want to cool to control product temperature, adjust depth of insertion etc. to your hearts content.

Use set point control setting as desired!

All this technical terminology is way above my head. If it's that simple, I'm sure someone will do it for me for peanuts(Bob perhaps), or maybe a bit more.

Anyway I spoke to a company today and since my freeze is not frost free, they said I need to buy:
new frost free freezer £200
device to be installed £150 ( I think this was the thermostat, smart controller, adaptor, not too sure)
labour £250
total £600.

Here you are showing me a device for £20 but will it achieve the same thing? And why is this guy saying I need to buy a device for £150?

Also I take the freezer must be frost free otheriwise temperature will not be maintained?, in which case £200 sounds about right?

hookster
19-09-2013, 07:59 AM
:o My solution was not technical at all and in all reality would not work effectively. The problem is from your other posts on this same circular post you are not specific enough on what you want to achieve.

So from your last post I have established you have no fan in your freezer at home.
If you buy a frost free does it have enough airflow for what you want to achieve?
Don't forget its only frost free as it has cyclic defrost cycles.
Price of electronic controllers are like cars you can buy a roller or a kia both will get you down to the corner shop but everything extra is at a price.

A few answers please before wasting your money on a new freezer.
What do you want to slow freeze? (size, weight, composition, start temperature etc.)

iceman31
20-09-2013, 01:12 AM
Hi Hookster

I've detailed my problem, requirements and collated answers in a new thread: http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/showthread.php?40629-Please-give-guidance-on-building-a-slow-freezer-(improved-version)&p=285994&posted=1#post285994 to make things clear for everybody.

I hope that gives you the info you need. Would be grateful if you could suggest something there. I'm willing to buy a new freezer and I'm going to assume that if the capacity and load is ok, then high enough temperature and fluctuating temperature alone would do the job. Please do point out if you see any problems e.g. air movement issues however I understand low air velocity slowers the rate and a high ambient temp will bring the rate down significantly enough anyway? or so I hope.