PDA

View Full Version : Copper spun dryers maximum temperature?

chilliwilly
10-09-2013, 10:16 PM
What is the maximum temperature of a copper spun dryer when being brazed?

I tried to braze one in this evening with a blow lamp, I eventually succeeded but my instincts were getting the better of me afterwards regarding its maximum temperature, and the time the heat was being applied to it.

I haven't brazed a copper spun dryer for years, and I normally use oxy acet, but this evening I didn't have it with me and used my blow lamp. Not realising the amount of time the heat would need to be applied, has caused me concern.

I've left it on leak test overnight, and I will find out tommorow when I commision it, if it has been damaged.

install monkey
10-09-2013, 10:22 PM
http://www.emersonclimate.com/Documents/FlowControls/pdf/systemprotectors/catalog/Spun_Copper_Liquid_Line_Filter_Drier.pdf
doesnt say- mapp gas temp around 900degc oxy acetylene over 1100 deg c - next time recommend a wet rag or kool gel- pyromate isnt as good
had a copper spun drier go bang when it was blocked- ears were ringing for 20 mins after- dropped about a kilo of 502 in a petrol station!!!:o

chilliwilly
10-09-2013, 10:34 PM
Ok cheers bud.

Brian_UK
10-09-2013, 10:37 PM
Couldn't find any temperature limits on the Sporlan website apart from a minimum.

They do say, of course, a quick hot braze and show a wet rag over the drier but the main problem seems to be dropping a solid core one.

fridg
20-09-2013, 06:33 AM
Refuse to use ,,, numerous have fallen over in the field throwing
Silica beads throughout the system ,,, for the sake of an extra 3$ go solid core...it's not the copper that melts it is the very fine aluminum strainer inside ,,, virtually the same as what's in an EPR..

chilliwilly
25-09-2013, 09:32 PM
The unit failed to work due to bad compressor and has been condemened and since been replaced due to other problems found with it.

Going to pick it up tommorow and strip it down in workshop as the door and the new evaporator which were replaced are needed on an identicle unit. I'm going to cut the dryer down the middle and see if any damage was done with the prolonged heat.