PDA

View Full Version : open vertical with ambient air curtain

kengineering
30-08-2013, 06:38 PM
Hi everyone, After a lengthy rehab on my knee Im finally back doing what I love."figuring stuff out!" I've been working with a new company on the DOE certificattion here in the states but A great project just came up and could use some ideas and advice. The idea is an open-front refrigerated case large enough to accept two forklift pallets of fresh fruit side by side to be used in a warehouse store. It will be an air screen design but I want to incorporate an ambient air curtain in front of the refrigerated air.

my question; at what velocity should each temp air be. Im assuming the ambient should be the higher speed but what is recomended. Ken

r.bartlett
30-08-2013, 06:57 PM
iah I would invite door curtain manufacturers to take the hard work out of this project so they hold design liability

chemi-cool
30-08-2013, 07:41 PM
Your chice means that part of the ambient air will enter the case. It should be added to case capacity.

vegetables and fruit needs low velocity and high humidity.

how long the pallets are planed to stay in that case?

al
30-08-2013, 09:47 PM
Milk fridges here take wheel in trolleys and are big enough to accept pallets, these don't have ambient air curtains just the evap fans, there is a front on the case which lifts up on hydralics, it's about a foot high when lowered. Detroit? used to make an open deck with ambient fans, not exactly high velocity if i remember right, fewer fans means less energy and less things for a service tech to curse you about.

alec

kengineering
03-09-2013, 12:21 PM
Your chice means that part of the ambient air will enter the case. It should be added to case capacity.

vegetables and fruit needs low velocity and high humidity.

how long the pallets are planed to stay in that case?

Pallets will stay in the case until sold or unsaleable.

kengineering
03-09-2013, 12:33 PM
The ambeint curtain fans are being requested by the end user. My thoughts are; the inside refrigerated air is of low velocity. Cold air being harder to move and helping to maintain humidity The Outside ambient Temperature curtain running paralell to it at a high velocity. 10707

In the illustration I would not be using the center airflow.