PDA

View Full Version : Carlyle 5H86 Vibration and poor performance

NorthSeaTech
30-08-2013, 04:51 PM
Hi All,

We have a bit of an issue with a Carlyle 5H86.

The system was orginally on R22 and decision was made to convert to R417A.

This change out was not completed by myself, i am merely trying to assist in the troubleshooting of the system.

Since the changeout has been completed the system was ran and displayed extreme vibrations so much so that the tech shut it down. CBM readings showed 119 mm/s from the unit.

The unit is also performing poorly i have attached a rough sketch containg temps etc for reference - http://www33.zippyshare.com/v/2647369/file.html.

Any recommendations?

chemi-cool
30-08-2013, 05:22 PM
Thats a big recip compressor, vibrations usualy indicate of a broken valve or a piston rod,
If it vibrates, it out of balancen, open the heads one at a time and see.

No liquid returning protection? odd.

NorthSeaTech
30-08-2013, 05:44 PM
I had considered that to be honest and it is something i will be asking the tech to do.

I had hoped i was possibly just overthinking it and missing something obvious. Thanks for the reply

Gibbo
30-08-2013, 07:14 PM
Remember reading somewhere on Dupont's web site that R417A was only suitable for units under 15kw and you are way over that.
Wouldn't think Carrier would recommend R417A either.

moideen
30-08-2013, 08:17 PM
Have you checked the oil pressure after start up? Please ensure the compressor is vibrating at the time of loading or unloading. During the full load, if the compressor is not vibrating, you can sure the compressor crankshaft, connecting rods and valves are ok. Check unloader sleeves, pins and springs for wear and free movement.