PDA

View Full Version : Oil in the lowside pouring out of the gauges.

kengineering
24-02-2006, 01:56 AM
I ran a system for a week with a chart recorder and left a service manifold connected the entire time. When I disconected the manifolds lowside service hose, oil poured out. I suspect that because I left the gauges lying at the base of the compressor oil was able to enter the hose and gravity took care of the rest. What say you.
Thanks, Ken

wambat
24-02-2006, 04:06 AM
I ran a system for a week with a chart recorder and left a service manifold connected the entire time. When I disconected the manifolds lowside service hose, oil poured out. I suspect that because I left the gauges lying at the base of the compressor oil was able to enter the hose and gravity took care of the rest. What say you.
Thanks, Ken
Sounds reasonable

fridg
24-02-2006, 06:54 AM
What sort of compressor

Reciprocating Scroll Screw

Some of these should have reed valves to stop this.

US Iceman
24-02-2006, 04:22 PM
Anytime the compressor is operating the suction gas velocity is carrying oil back to the compressor. It is conceivable the oil could have drained back into the hoses on your manifold gauges.

If you hang the gauges up at a higher elevation than the hose connection, the problem should disappear.

Brian_UK
24-02-2006, 07:45 PM
Apart from hanging the gauges up higher you could also use the high pressure gas/liquid from the high side through the manifold to clear the LP line.

This is of course assuming that the HP side is connected..