PDA

View Full Version : Does my Panasonic Inverter AC protected against Huge Electrical Spike ??

Dezaremos
18-08-2013, 03:21 PM
We currently experience a huge electrical surge, I mean I literally saw the bright flow of current running through the wires along the highway and we had a low power after that.

It took an hour before the electricity is stable again.

Though my AC was off during that time, I left it plugged in the outlet but the outlet was connected to the circuit breaker.

Does the electrical surge damage my AC or was it protected by the circuit breaker ??

I haven't turn on my AC yet .. Waiting for some advice here ..

install monkey
18-08-2013, 03:49 PM
chances are there will be damage to pcb's- all u can do is try it and prey- probably indoor outdoor pcbs transformers will be req
whats the model,manufacturer?

Dezaremos
18-08-2013, 04:54 PM
chances are there will be damage to pcb's- all u can do is try it and prey- probably indoor outdoor pcbs transformers will be req

I thought the house's circuit breaker's job is to trip off the entire house whenever there's a short circuit or electrical surge ??

The Panasonic manual indicated that the unit is protected by a built-in Electrical Surge Protector, is this a guarantee ??

My unit model is

http://www.panasonic.com/ph/consumer/air-conditioners/split-type-airconditioner/deluxe-inverter/cs-s12pkq.html

Dezaremos
18-08-2013, 05:05 PM

I thought the house's circuit breaker's job is to trip off the entire house whenever there's a short circuit or electrical surge ??

The Panasonic manual indicated that the unit is protected by a built-in Electrical Surge Protector, is this a guarantee ??

My unit model is

http://www.panasonic.com/ph/consumer/air-conditioners/split-type-airconditioner/deluxe-inverter/cs-s12pkq.html

install monkey
18-08-2013, 05:17 PM
circuit breakers protect from over current, power surge is excessive voltage that can cause breakdown of electrical components
start it up , see what happens

westom
18-08-2013, 05:54 PM
I thought the house's circuit breaker's job is to trip off the entire house whenever there's a short circuit or electrical surge ?? Circuit breakers and fuses take milliseconds to respond. Some circuit breakers can take up to 2 hours. Surges are done in microseconds.

A fuse or circuit breaker is for human safety. To disconnect appliances AFTER damage has happened so that a fire does not harm humans.

All appliances already contain robust protection. Your concern is a rare anomaly that can overwhelm that existing protection. You may describe such an event. Depends on how good the 'primary' and 'secondary' protection layers are. Unfortunately some utilities are very bad on maintaining what is your 'primary' protection layer. A picture demonstrates what defines that protection and what should be inspected:
http://www.tvtower.com/fpl.html

Now, did you install your 'secondary' protection layer? If not, then protection inside all appliances is as risk. Makes no difference if powered on or off. Anomalies that easily transverse three miles of sky can easily cross millimeters inside a switch. You must earth these currents before entering the building.

Informed homeowners upgrade their earth ground. And earth a 'whole house' protector. This 'secondary' protection layer must exist so that protection inside any and every appliance is not overwhelmed.

Dezaremos
18-08-2013, 06:03 PM
circuit breakers protect from over current, power surge is excessive voltage that can cause breakdown of electrical components
start it up , see what happens

The power surge we saw running along the highway while on our way to the city was traveling from one post to another and maybe past through lots of transformers along the street before getting through the houses. Its like a light energy traveling very fast, very bright and accompanied with a sound like a turn on light saber in starwars movie.

Is there a possibility that the surge was filtered by all the transformers is passes because when it get to the houses, all it did was leaving behind a low power state for the entire village for almost an hour. The current was very low that the lights suddenly became dim while some of the lights cannot be turn on, including the appliances, computers, etc.

2hrs after the current was stable. I plug the AC back to the outlet and it didn't turn on, so I unplug it back, went to the circuit breaker, turn the breaker off for a second and turn it on. I went back to the room and plug back the AC to the outlet and turn it on. It's running for an hour now.

The Panasonic manual says the unit has a built-in electrical surge protection and indicated lightning as an example of surge.

What are the signs that I should be watching for if the surge really damage on my AC ??

install monkey
18-08-2013, 06:31 PM
if it has started up and works in cooling and heating mode- then you should be ok
normally fried pcb's signs of flash marks from arc ing.