PDA

View Full Version : bit of a pickle.. any ideas??

mr cool (aus)
22-02-2006, 12:34 PM
hi all
as my work is based on transport refrigeration a client has asked for:
a truck and tralier (insulated approx 6 meters in length each) that carries chicks on occasions or chick eggs.
for the eggs the client needs 15 degrees celcius with no fresh air and for the live chicks 26 degrees celcuis is required moving 3 litres of air per minute. it will be either carring one or the other not both at the same time. any ideas on the best way to arrange this would be fantastic. thankyou in advance

old gas bottle
02-03-2006, 07:57 PM
hi,is it not just one of your transport units with a duct system and extract with a fan unit at the said volume.when i worked for thermo king many moons ago there were containers using a similar spec,cant for the life think what for now.

mr cool (aus)
04-03-2006, 11:48 AM
yes, but the 1 unit will have to perform all the explained tasks..would a pre-cooler be a good idea

reefermadness
04-03-2006, 10:11 PM
Chick haulers are a touchy thing. I have worked on a couple that use a roof top unit to cool, power supplied by a Cummins GEnset, and glycol to heat. This is a real mess because none of these things were built to be bouncing down the road. Broken pipes and freezing pipes seem to be the norm. Even with all the problems it seems to get the job done. not nice to work on though and very expensive to build and repair.

Reefermadness

Darshi
05-04-2006, 12:38 PM
Few points need clarification.

1. Eggs comming to the truck will already be precooled and hence the load is only to meet the heat gain thru the insulated cabin.

2. For chickn transport,the indirect evaporative cooling well do very well. One can have 100% fresh air if desired alternatvely the DX system designed for eggs can be used as an after cooler for the indirect /Direct evaporative cooler.
Assumption is that the climate is suitable for indirect /Direct evaporative cooling.
Advantages
1. A Normal car airconditioner system run by the truck engine may do the job
2.There is no need to have an additional engine to run the air conditioner.
3.The IDEC system can run on the truck battery without a problem.
Do let me know if you need more help

Darshi
05-04-2006, 12:45 PM
Few points need clarification.

1. Eggs comming to the truck will already be precooled and hence the load is only to meet the heat gain thru the insulated cabin.

2. For chickn transport,the indirect evaporative cooling well do very well. One can have 100% fresh air if desired alternatvely the DX system designed for eggs can be used as an after cooler for the indirect /Direct evaporative cooler.
Assumption is that the climate is suitable for indirect /Direct evaporative cooling.
Advantages
1. A Normal car airconditioner system run by the truck engine may do the job
2.There is no need to have an additional engine to run the air conditioner.
3.The IDEC system can run on the truck battery without a problem.
Do let me know if you need more help[/QUOTE]

NoNickName
05-04-2006, 08:15 PM
I would prefer hot chicks around here.

duncan
10-04-2006, 02:36 PM
hi all
as my work is based on transport refrigeration a client has asked for:
a truck and tralier (insulated approx 6 meters in length each) that carries chicks on occasions or chick eggs.
for the eggs the client needs 15 degrees celcius with no fresh air and for the live chicks 26 degrees celcuis is required moving 3 litres of air per minute. it will be either carring one or the other not both at the same time. any ideas on the best way to arrange this would be fantastic. thankyou in advance
Please be carefull of this project. You will need fresh air as well as humidity control to a certain degree. I have seen this done on a number of occasions and you will need air filters as well to stop the feathers collecting on the evaporators. Let me know if you would like to see a desighn that i have seen used and seems to be working.

piaget
19-04-2006, 09:14 AM
This is one of the trickiest things to handle. Some countries in Asia have experimented in using small truck units and bus units, to disastrous results. What I was told is that the key to this is the control of the exchange of fresh air from the outside of the body. I'll try to get more details on this from my friend who has worked on a similar project.

mke005
05-05-2006, 05:35 AM
What`s up Bro? more than being any help 2 you, I`m actually asking for help, I`ve worked on stationary equipment for a few years but would like to learn about ref. trailers. Perhaps you want 2 sell some books or something, I already tried getting a course from thermoking and carrier, but they won`t do it for a solo tech like me. Thanks