PDA

View Full Version : Condenser fan wont kick in, if spinned by hand it wont spin fast enough HELP please.

jose.zabala
10-08-2013, 02:57 AM
Hello guys,

hope someone can help me out with this.

my AC unit runs 2 compressors, unit A and B (12000btu each) it has 2 capacitors, one of 30 uF and another of 30uF+6uF. the dual capacitor which runs the unitB and the fan was damaged as I saw it spilling dielectric fluid. so i replaced it with 2 capacitors(since i couldnt find an exact match 30uF+6uF). so i got 2 capacitors, one of 30uF and one of 6uF. did all the wiring as shown in the wiring diagram plus a wire connecting from the C to the 6uF. so theres a new wire from the "Common" to the 6uF. and of course the wire that was supposed to be on the Fan connector is now connected to the other end of the 6uF. the thing is that the fan wont start. i have to spin it by hand and then it will start spinning.not fast enough though. i replaced again the 6uF capacitor thinking it was damaged and same result. i even bought a new fan motor thinking the motor was damaged and same thing.it wont start on its own nor spin fast enough.

anyway then i tried using a 25uF+5uF to start both the compressor and the fan. the compressor kicked in just fine but the fan wont move, when spinning it by hand it would pick up speed but just not enough to cool the condenser coil.

any thoughts?

this is an LG multitype room air conditioner model M242CS.

thx so much in advance.

regards,
jczs

passandscore
10-08-2013, 04:47 AM
Be sure to wire them in parallel!

"If you have an application where the capacitor fails frequently due to constant motor starting, try using two capacitors of half the required value wired in parallel. The reason is that using two capacitors in parallel increases the thermal capacity of the capacitor because the greatest surface area of the two units increases the capacitor’s ability to dissipate heat.

Capacitors also have voltage ratings. This relates to the maximum voltage the capacitor can stand across its terminals, and is determined by the strength of the dielectric. When making replacements, it’s acceptable practice to use capacitors with higher voltage ratings than the original unit.

It also is generally acceptable to use a replacement capacitor that is one standard rating size higher than the original as a temporary solution in the field. For example, it’s OK to replace a 7.5-mfd with a 10-mfd capacitor. But if you make such a substitution, always check to make sure the output amps do not exceed the motor’s nameplate amps."

The above quote was taken from the following link:
http://www.achrnews.com/articles/the-motor-doctor-diagnoses-motor-capacitors

install monkey
17-08-2013, 02:43 PM
http://www.mediafire.com/download/jpk8g7lag9jy86p/M242CS(2_COMP).pdf
service manual for unit
apparently its a 2 speed fan so possibly the hi speed winding is faulty
suggest checking voltage ,replacing cond fan motor and getting the exact same capacitor