PDA

View Full Version : Panasonic Inverter Compressor Stops ????

Dezaremos
08-08-2013, 04:41 PM
I finally bought a 1.5hp Panasonic Inverter Econavi and have it installed today. After the unit was installed and tested by the authorized technician, I left the room with the following settings:

-Cool Mode
-26' Celsius
-Auto Fan Speed
-Auto Fan Swing

I left to the mall for 2hrs to buy something, it was raining when I went home. When I got home the first thing I did was went to check the outdoors unit, I noticed its not running, I mean there was no air exhausted from its grills and when I ran to the bedroom to check the indoor unit, it was still running.

From what I understand, an Inverter AC does not stop but only throttles down.

Could it be that:

- the compressor turned off because the 26 'c temp was achieved easily due to the rainy weather which is closed more or less the 26 'c ??
- or the compressor was still running but only its fan which is not because the weather is cold enough to cool the compressor running only at 26 'c ?? and the reason I couldn't hear it running because its silent plus the sound of the slight rain.

And when I lowered the temp to 20 'c, the outdoor unit ran again.

Is this normal in panasonic inverter ??

The Viking
08-08-2013, 05:16 PM
Your inverted unit will start to slow down at about 27.5 degrees (assuming a 26 degree setpoint) it will then stop completely when it reaches 26 degrees.
So unless the room temp is above the setpoint the compressor will not run.

Also, rest assured, your unit will throw a wobbly and give you a faultcode if anything major goes wrong, that you can't miss.

:cool:

Dezaremos
08-08-2013, 05:31 PM
Your inverted unit will start to slow down at about 27.5 degrees (assuming a 26 degree setpoint) it will then stop completely when it reaches 26 degrees.
So unless the room temp is above the setpoint the compressor will not run.

Also, rest assured, your unit will throw a wobbly and give you a faultcode if anything major goes wrong, that you can't miss.

so you mean to say that the reason why it stopped is because the inside and outside temp are close to the same ??

if this will go on, it will be acting as a non-inverter on-off cycle. there will be no savings in electricity in this cycle or will it run on lower wattage because only the indoor blower's fan is running ??

Neddy
08-08-2013, 05:51 PM
The reason it stopped is because the unit reached its set point inside. When the indoor reaches its set point the outdoor stops and the indoor fan continues to run which is cheap to run. Inverter units are much more efficient than non inverter units.

The Viking
08-08-2013, 07:58 PM
As Neddy said above,

Nothing to do with the outdoor temperature, it's purely down to setpoint versus indoor temperature.

install monkey
08-08-2013, 08:12 PM
http://www.mediafire.com/download/58ne4p3ydt2gc97/s_ne9_12jke.pdf
click on link above for service manual - this explains the control strategy

also the patrol function will offset the setpoint by 2 deg if it doesnt detect motion
any eco button also will offset the setpoint, and quiet mode for the outdoor too limits output

Dezaremos
09-08-2013, 02:43 PM
The reason it stopped is because the unit reached its set point inside. When the indoor reaches its set point the outdoor stops and the indoor fan continues to run which is cheap to run. Inverter units are much more efficient than non inverter units.

yes i know they're much more efficient than non-inverter but according to the explanation of inverter technology, the efficiency is done by eliminating the start/stop operation of non-inverters thus creating a variable speed.

In my case, if the AC detects that the outside temp is close to my set temp which is 26 'C and avoiding to exceed it, the outdoor stops and only starts when the bedroom temp rises. Though inverter slowly starts and stops the compressor every time it reaches 26 'C. My setting is making the inverter unit operating the same as a non-inverter where there is a start/stop operation creating a spike in electricity and every time the compressor stops, only the indoor unit's fan is running just like a non-inverter AC.

Do I need to set it lower, lets say 23 'C for example, to make a constant difference in the bedroom temp against the outside temp to be able to avoid the compressor from stopping and only throttles down to less wattage. This way, I can avoid it from stopping because every time is throttles down there will always be difference in inside and outside temp thus keep is running variably.

The Viking
09-08-2013, 03:06 PM
No, no, noo...
Please listen to what we are saying :(

The outdoor temperature has absolutely nothing to do with the start/stop of your unit.

The setpoint refers to the temperature inside the room you are trying to cool. Your setpoint should be set at the desired room temperature, the temperature at which you are comfortable.

Where your energy saving comes in to play at start/stop is that the unit will hunt less than a unit without inverter and that when it start it will start slowly and not at 100%. An old fashioned direct online compressor will start at full load/speed and to get things moving it would "spike" the electrical supply, normally a compressor with a running current of just 5 Amp would have a starting current of well above 30 Amps. In comparison, an inverted compressor with a 5 Amp running current would never consume more than 5 Amp as it would start slowly pulling less than 1 Amp and then build up speed and capacity gradually.