PDA

View Full Version : HELP with: Evaporator and Condenser Surface Areas

jamesk
07-08-2013, 08:36 PM
Hello,

Domestic Refrigerators:
Can someone please give me an evaporator and condenser surface area ratio please? Is the condenser usually larger in surface area than the evaporator?

If you know the surface area for the evaporator and the condenser of any domestic sized refrigerator please can you pass on the information to me?

A website link that showed all required dimensions to calculate surface area would also be great.

Thank You

passandscore
08-08-2013, 02:44 AM
Surface area? Not sure what value that will be to you?

Basic mathematics: http://www.basic-mathematics.com/surface-area-of-a-rectangular-prism.html

jamesk
08-08-2013, 06:00 AM
Thanks passandscore for the joke, but I wanted a Value for the surface area of an 'Actual' Evaporator & Condenser, that someone on here would have worked with or studied. I am not having trouble with basic maths formulas (in this case).

Rob White
08-08-2013, 08:32 AM

Not set in stone but for a rough rule of thumb

the evap is always 2/3 that of the cond.

It's not surface area but it's a start point.

Rob

Peter_1
08-08-2013, 12:09 PM
There are no rules for surface area, surface area has nothing to do with capacities. Volume should be a better value to compare but even then. What are your DT's, TE, TC, SH, SC...? All this will change the dimensions of your coil.

frank
08-08-2013, 08:22 PM
Surface areas are relevant to heat rejection/absorption in conjunction with temperature differences (dt) and duties.

As with all calculations, you need to know 2 values to find the third. Just asking for a surface area ratio doesn't mean anything unless you know what the ratio is against.

moideen
08-08-2013, 09:38 PM
There is no surface ratio between condenser and evaporator. Condenser will be sized after sizing the evaporator and compressor. Capacity of air cooled condenser is based on total heat of rejection (THR).THR is equal to the evaporator capacity plus heat of compression.