PDA

View Full Version : Do Splits really need vents ?? (Harmfull CO2)

Dezaremos
06-08-2013, 03:58 PM
I've read this in the forum and would like to know from you guys if this is true ??

there are some things that you will need to consider before installing a split type aircon.

1. room ventillation - only rooms that have sufficient air removal and make-up are suitable for split-type ac units. the removal of carbon dioxide rich air (by means of extraction/exhaust fans) and supply of fresh outside air are a must. failure to do so can lead to the accumulation of carbon dioxide in the enclosed room. in a window type ac this is already built into the unit, there is always some air from the room that is blown out through spaces in the internal ducting, and there is sufficient make-up air drawn in through the hole thru which the blower shaft goes through. there is no such thing in a split type unit. so if you are going to stay in that room, especially if you are going to sleep in it, think twice.

I have a personal experience on this. we had a split type ac unit in one of our offices on one of the rigs i was on. everyone in that office always felt dizzy all the time, me included. when measured the O2 level was down to 15% and the CO2 level was up to 6%.

If this is true then it will defeat the purpose of Inverter AC's because for the Inverter to work, it needs a stable temp before the compressor throttles down.

The above mentioned that only split types needs vent because window types have it built in the unit. But also only splits have inverter tech and if you need vent to drive out the harmful CO2's inside the room then also the cooled air will be driven out the vent, leads to increase in warm air, the compressor will tend to work in full power, defeats the purpose of inverter, equals no electricity bill savings.

Any comments ????

Brian_UK
06-08-2013, 05:49 PM
This has nothing to do with the split ac unit.

The lack of fresh air is a separate problem altogether. The example given would have the same problem if they had a simple desk fan or nothing at all. People breath normally and exhale CO2 so unless the air in the room is changed it will become a CO2 rich space.

Dezaremos
06-08-2013, 06:04 PM
This has nothing to do with the split ac unit.

The lack of fresh air is a separate problem altogether. The example given would have the same problem if they had a simple desk fan or nothing at all. People breath normally and exhale CO2 so unless the air in the room is changed it will become a CO2 rich space.

That's why I posted this here to confirm if its true..

I am planning to put an Inverter Split in my room which has only two windows. But it will be close tightly if the AC is on and according to the post i've copy pasted above, a split needs vent for the CO2 we've exhaled exhausted out the room and my room has no vent once the two windows will be close when the AC on.

The post above concerned me because I'm not the only one sleeping my room, I have a 1yr old baby and a wife, so the CO2 accumulation mentioned above concerned me because too much CO2 leads to coma while sleeping.

I need to know that not only window type but also split type AC have the capability to exhaust or filter CO2 even without vents ..

frank
06-08-2013, 08:20 PM
The post above concerned me because I'm not the only one sleeping my room, I have a 1yr old baby and a wife, so the CO2 accumulation mentioned above concerned me because too much CO2 leads to coma while sleeping.

What happens while you sleeping at the moment without the A/C unit installed?

Do you die from CO2 inhalation during the night?

The split system will only address the heating or cooling needs, it won't alter the ventilation requirements as it just recirculates the air.

Dezaremos
07-08-2013, 02:57 AM
What happens while you sleeping at the moment without the A/C unit installed?

Do you die from CO2 inhalation during the night?

The split system will only address the heating or cooling needs, it won't alter the ventilation requirements as it just recirculates the air.

There's no problem without the AC because without the AC, my two windows are open so there's plenty of air coming inside for circulation. But if the AC will be on, the windows will be close ofcourse so that's CO2 build up begins as stated above. I've personally never experience it because we don't have an AC yet and the windows are open all the time. Now that we are planning to buy an AC, the CO2 mentioned above rises to my concern.

Rob White
07-08-2013, 08:37 AM

In the UK there are building regulations that dictate
how many air changes are done every hour.
Calculations are done at about 1.5 air changes an
hour when calculating for heat losses.

No room is completely air tight but if you are concerned
then refer to building regulations for your area and
follow their guidance.

Ceiling cassette type system have an intake duct allowing
a % of fresh air to be added to the room and this does
put extra load onto the system. Split wall mounts do not
have that feature so your room needs to be "sufficiently leaky"
so it allows a small amount of fresh air to enter the room.

Regards

Rob

frank
07-08-2013, 10:03 AM
Here's a wall mounted split system that provides fresh air as well http://www.daikin.com/global_ac/products/residential/urusara_series/outline.html

jdunc2301
07-08-2013, 10:22 AM
I think your reading too much into it and being paranoid... It's nothing to worry about...

install monkey
07-08-2013, 03:00 PM
In daikin vrv manuals it states that small rooms that have a unit in - you must calculate maximum concentration levels - thats so u dont gas anyone when it leaks- but no one ever does it

bigspee
07-08-2013, 04:31 PM
The split system recirculates the air and doesn't give off any co2.No room is air tight you can get air movement through gaps on doors windows etc, for example with open flue boilers the ventilation requirements are calculated and allowed up to 7KW of gas appliance (dependant on the system) before ventilation is required due to adventitious air ventilation which is the air moment that you get throughout the room not being 100% air tight.

The MG Pony
07-08-2013, 04:49 PM
Am I being daft or is the solution really not that obvious? Open the soding window a hair! what next re-invent the wheel?

leave the window open by 1 inch, if they're like every other window this will give you 24 or more square inches of venting, more then enough usualy, I just know in all these years I haven't died from running my direct fired kerosene radient heater and it gives off all sorts of nasties co2 being the safest!

A heat recovery ventilater is another option to save a few quid if that is the core consern?!

bigspee
08-08-2013, 04:25 PM
Or leave the door ajar

The MG Pony
08-08-2013, 07:22 PM
A door is not a jar it's a door! ;) LOL sorry couldn't resist!

But in all seriousness that is indeed another excellent opion!

Rob White
08-08-2013, 11:57 PM

When is a door not a door?

When it is a window!!

True...... Building SAP calculations state that if the
door has more glass than solid it is classed as a window.

It's to do with energy calculations :cool:

Regards

Rob