PDA

View Full Version : Magnetic refrigerators!!

reb
19-02-2006, 08:09 AM
Hi everyone,
Can anybody inform me about magnetic refrigeration technology? Will we continue to use R-22 as a refrigerant?

thanks for your consideration,

Andy
19-02-2006, 09:54 AM
Hi everyone,
Can anybody inform me about magnetic refrigeration technology? Will we continue to use R-22 as a refrigerant?

thanks for your consideration,

Turkey may still use R22, but if they become a full member of the EU they will have to abide by the Montreal Protocol the same as the rest of use and stop using Ozone depleting refrigerants;)

Or they could take the American option and just do their own thing:D

Even American has phase out dates for R22. R22 is a refrigerant with a short term life.

Magnetic refrigeration is only in the eairly stages and may not be comercially viable.

Compressors with magnetic bearings are already in use.

www.turbocor.com

Kind Regards. Andy.:)

reb
20-02-2006, 03:28 PM
Thanks for your reply, but can you also tell me any companies that are working on magnetic refrigerators as a research? Also what are the refrigerants that are taking place of R-22?

Thanks

Andy
20-02-2006, 09:28 PM
Thanks for your reply, but can you also tell me any companies that are working on magnetic refrigerators as a research? Also what are the refrigerants that are taking place of R-22?

Thanks

No companies that I know, but that would be R&D and they would not necessarily tell what they are working on. Just Universities.

R22 is replaced by 404a in the Uk except for A/C which uses 407c and more lately 410a. R12 has been replaced by R134a, but you did not need to know that.

America use R134a to replace R22 and some 407c in A/C (Airconditioning)

Kind Regards. Andy.:)

Carlo Hansen
21-02-2006, 05:36 PM
hi Reb

It is a interesting way to make cooling, but as Andy says
it wil take some times to use this.

http://physicsweb.org/articles/news/6/1/4

Here is a link for magnetic cooling.

Best regards

Carlo Hansen

arkay
04-03-2006, 05:59 AM
Here is a copy of a part of an article from a German author, Krosse L., in 2005:
"Magnetic cooling is based on the reversible magneto-caloric effect. Cooling can be obtained by magnetising and demagnetising MCE-materials with permanent magnets, so very little electrical energy is needed. Furthermore, any fluid, such as water or air can be used as the heat transfer medium. Among the advantages of magnetic cooling are: silent operation, application of environmentally friendly heat transfer media and energy efficiency. On the other hand it is still an immature technology, unknown by most manufacturers and multiple step systems are needed to bridge a sufficient temperature gradient at acceptable cooling capacities."

There may also be some information on :
http://www.arti-21cr.org/research/completed/finalreports/10010-final.pdf

slingblade
04-03-2006, 10:52 AM
www.fridgemagnet.net

cheers

slingblade