PDA

View Full Version : Information request

Student Eng
18-02-2006, 06:22 PM
Hi All I'm new to the forum :)

I dont know if any of you can help me but I need some advice to aid me with my college assignment. Ive been asked to produce an air conditioning assignment for buildings in the UK. The questions are what factors affect the decision to install an air con system, and is the increased use of these systems justified in your opinion for such buildings as

What types of system would you use for a multistory office block

A microchip manufacturing facility

A high tech computer driven office

Any help would be much appreciated

Josip
18-02-2006, 08:25 PM
Hello and welcome!:)

I'm not a A/C oriented too much but I used to work couple of times with Daikin. I know they have some good solutions. I do believe Toshiba, Fujitsu, Panasonic and some other are also good and you can search their pages and products too:)

As you said; you are a new kid on the block and my advice is to start maybe here:
http://global.daikin.com/global/our_product/

There you will find many links to a very different types of A/C units.
You have to make some reserch by yourself to get the picture what is available. Maybe too much ;)

The questions are what factors affect the decision to install an air con system, and is the increased use of these systems justified in your opinion for such buildings as

Only 2 factors affect the decision to install an A/C system:
1. you must want it,
2. you must have money
Very simple, ha? :)

But.....

to give you a right answer is not that simple. Whenever, in your future work, you have to decide which system is better for you try to put some questions on the paper and give the answers. Do not cheat yourself, pls :)

Questions like - my demands/needs:

- cooling only or cooling and heating
- reliability&warranty of system
- price (it is usually proportional to quality but that is not a rule, so take care;) )
- special demands regarding clean air and humidty
- energy savings units and software
- each room with own temp and humidity control or each story or complete block under the same conditions
- is there one or more rooms producing some heat even in winter time and we can utilise that heat in another room/rooms
- possibility of local or/and central control
- maintenance cost
- asking for quotation for delivery and for installation at least from 4 manufacturers/dealers

Is this of some help to you?;) Hope it is:)

If I miss something I do believe someone will add...

Abe
18-02-2006, 09:57 PM
Josip

You got the wrong end of the stick
This guy is a Uni student,

It is a piece of academic research he is after
Things like.

temperature
Relative Humidity
Air Purity

Are the areas he is concentrating on
There are many papers on the subject

This is more a techy forum, but some members here are pretty clued up

Brian_UK
18-02-2006, 10:34 PM
The questions are what factors affect the decision to install an air con system, and is the increased use of these systems justified in your opinion for such buildings as....

I think the use of the word 'your' is meant to be what you as the student think not what others, such as this forum, think.

1. Could be centralised or local to each floor.

2. Close control environment.

3. As no. 1

Student Eng
19-02-2006, 08:56 AM
Yes I am a student, but do not have much knowledge of Air Con Systems. Ive looked everywhere for information to help me on my assignment until I found the forum.

For the systems I mentioned I have to include the choice of system, why that particular choice, how could I consider zoning the system and what control philosophy would I use for each?

Maintence factors would be needed to be taken into account in the maintenance of the plant, what problems could arise and how these problems could be overcome

Thanks for the info so far

Student Eng
19-02-2006, 09:00 AM
I think the use of the word 'your' is meant to be what you as the student think not what others, such as this forum, think.

3. As no. 1

You are correct! "your" is relating the question I'm being asked from Uni

Josip
19-02-2006, 12:07 PM
:).....

Josip

You got the wrong end of the stick
This guy is a Uni student,

It is a piece of academic research he is after
Things like.

temperature
Relative Humidity
Air Purity

Are the areas he is concentrating on
There are many papers on the subject

This is more a techy forum, but some members here are pretty clued up

Thanks Aiyub, miss one's quess, always leads into wrong end of the stick, and;
"stick always has two ends" :) and I got (many times in my life :) )the wrong one. Why this time, also?

1. I want to help, becuse he asked for!
2. Sorry, I do not know what is Uni student :confused:
3. Definitely, among others, one reason is a spirit and phraseology of english language
4. Looking at my profile it is obvious: that guy has to face language barrier, sometime :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by: Brian_UK

3. As no. 1

As you see even Brian_UK is not sure is "your" related to "us-forum" or to "him-student".

I do hope you will not miss my point. I'm not :mad: just want to put some milestones for future questions.:)

This is some kind of technical forum and to get some help or answer; question must be as much as possible (without quess) exact and clear :)

Coming back to my "help" I believe it was not useless!?
Hello, Mr. Uni student, please, come back and comment :)

Student Eng
19-02-2006, 02:13 PM
Jossip,

I am a University Student. If thats thats any clearer.

Bascially I need some help with my assignment for University!!

Your quite right the, texting version of the English Language is a little off putting but it's better than trying it polyphonic I suppose :)

Student Eng

slingblade
19-02-2006, 06:11 PM
it could be worse, you could be talking in Welsh.
as for air con. i would usually select a machine that will keep a space at a temp. of around 21 deg c. hope this helps.

Josip
19-02-2006, 06:51 PM
Nice, young man,

I am a University Student. If thats thats any clearer.

No, it is not :) there are many kinds of Uni....and your is?

Bascially I need some help with my assignment for University!!

So, you asked us...

Then we tryed to give you some help.....:)

Jossip,

Your quite right the, texting version of the English Language is a little off putting but it's better than trying it polyphonic I suppose :)

Student Eng

Definately agree with you :)

but, please tell us, did I really get the wrong end of the stick as Aiyub said :) or "help" was usefull...

Student Eng
19-02-2006, 07:14 PM
Nice, young man,

No, it is not :) there are many kinds of Uni....and your is?

So, you asked us...

Then we tryed to give you some help.....:)

Definately agree with you :)

but, please tell us, did I really get the wrong end of the stick as Aiyub said :) or "help" was usefull...

In answer to all your quote's, with regards to your last posting, the term Uni Student was short for University Student as mentioned before, but as you were not aware then now you know! :) :cool:

You didn't get the wrong end of the stick earlier. I can see that Aiyub has upset you in someway!! The information everyone has provided has been very helpful!

Thanks

Student Engineer

Abe
19-02-2006, 07:22 PM
You didn't get the wrong end of the stick earlier. I can see that Aiyub has upset you in someway!! The information everyone has provided has been very helpful!

Well Josip.

Dont get your ears in a flap
No need to get upset or fly off the handle

You write something, theres a response
Might not be a right response, but there goes

;)

Josip
19-02-2006, 09:47 PM
No, no, no, please I'm not upset at all :) I'm not that kind of people. I'm really happy when I can help :)

NHF ;) but, I still don't know anything about your University!

I suppose, it is technical university but still :confused:

civil (high, low buildings, roads...
mechanical/electrotechnical (electronics, ships, materials, thermotechnical, industrial engineering...

You have or you will have diploma: what for, please?

Is this a good quess, :) to get an exact answer;)?

Brian_UK
19-02-2006, 10:52 PM
Hey there StudEng,

I know this is not strictly UK info but have a look at the following site:-
http://www.mcquay.com/McQuay/DesignSolutions/Systems

The 3rd para down might be useful to you.

Lc_shi
20-02-2006, 01:01 AM
I think you're doing the project design for getting credit hoiurs:)
my opinion for your reference:
#Use Air handling unit for chip factory because the environment for it should include :temp \humidity\cleanness control ,even the air flow pattern;
#for computer office ,you need to select a computer office special AC unit,it can control the temp\humidity more precisely.

I'm not sure to what extent of this project requires. There is much work to do if it's a real case:p

Only hope it can help you some

regards
LC

Student Eng
20-02-2006, 06:54 PM
The assignment has to be approx 3000 words long. No calculations, just reasons and choices of air conditioning for the building types I mentioned earlier.

Thanks

Student Eng

US Iceman
21-02-2006, 12:44 AM

Some of the common varieties of systems are:

Chilled water (or glycol)... The cold water is pumped through piping to coils where air is blown over the coils. The cold air is distributed by sheet metal duct-work. These are called an indirect cooling system. A refrigeration system indirectly cools the air or space.

A direct system is where the refrigeration system directly cools the air while it is being circulated. In this case the refrigerant flows through the cooling coil.

For each type above there are two other systems: constant volume and variable volume (sometimes called a VAV system, for variable air volume). There are also other types for variable refrigerant pumping volume.

A constant volume system continuously circulates the same volume of air or water. These are slightly more expensive to operate.

A variable volume system has the ability to vary the volume of water, air, or refrigerant. These adjust the cooling capacity to match the heat load requirements.

Some buildings will have different air filtration requirements. Chip manufacturing will require clean room technology. Much like a surgical operating room.

Office buildings may have less stringent filtration requirements.

Another aspect to consider is the type of refrigeration system to use. Centrifugal chillers, absorption chillers, thermal storage (using ice or water), or other compression systems.

Thermal storage is typically used to offset the daytime energy use, by using electricity during the evening off-peak hours. This is usually considered when the daytime on-peak energy costs can be substantially higher than evening power use.

The type of system used is determined by the installation, building type, power costs, and equipment costs.

I hope this helps provide information on some of the possibilities.

Renato RR
21-02-2006, 12:06 PM
Try to find some similar building wich have solved air conditioning problem and try to conclude whay?For sertanly you can find 2 or 3 buildings in the area.

Best regards,
Renato:cool: