PDA

View Full Version : Refrigeration alarm systems

tonydeith
18-02-2006, 04:55 PM
Hi to all
I was wondering what the concensus was amongst the engineers that work with various systems, such as elm,jtl,rdm etc. Which system was the most user friendly,the reason i ask this. Is that i had a conversation with an other engineer who regarded jtl as the best system he had worked with.But when i had the same conversation with an other engineer they preffered elm/rdm to jtl as they thought that they were easier to get there heads round it than other systems. I was wondering what everybody else thought on this subject.

Cheers,

Tony.:)

Andy
18-02-2006, 08:24 PM
Hi Tony:)

Danfoss is the best:D Wouldn't be the easiest to configure, but certainly the best of the bunch:)

I tend to think it is all down to personal preference.

I know the oldere Elm was not the most relyable, with the network having to reboot the front end once a day just to stabilise all the controller comunication and to make sure no controllers had fallen of the network.

But I am sure all electronics have improved over the years

Kind Regards. Andy:)

whiffnsniff
27-02-2006, 11:22 AM
Most supermarkets in the UK are now going towards RDM for their control/alarm systems.
The guys who produce this system are most of the old ELM crew before the honeywell takeover.
No more heavy front ends with multiple pcb's and touchscreens to break down and recalibrate all the time.
The controllers are small and light,operation is simple.
And if you want to use attach a pc to the systems to show layouts the there's no need for expensive front end software - a pc with a network card and IE is all you need.
The system works on CAT5 and RS485 networks and will accept most other controllers inc Danfoss.
They also provide free training in the UK for their products.

WebRam
27-02-2006, 07:00 PM
Most supermarkets in the UK are now going towards RDM for their control/alarm systems.
The guys who produce this system are most of the old ELM crew before the honeywell takeover.
No more heavy front ends with multiple pcb's and touchscreens to break down and recalibrate all the time.
And if you want to use attach a pc to the systems to show layouts the there's no need for expensive front end software - a pc with a network card and IE is all you need.
The system works on CAT5 and RS485 networks and will accept most other controllers inc Danfoss.

sounds like an RDM salesman to me ..................

frank
27-02-2006, 08:01 PM
sounds like an RDM salesman to me ..................

No web link though Boss - I think the Jury's out :)

WebRam
27-02-2006, 10:59 PM
;) lets keep an eye on him, if he links, we can him and cover him in tar :)

Andy
27-02-2006, 11:35 PM

And the RDM controllers would be half the price of Danfoss because:confused:

Well they are half the job.

They use Danfoss probes because:rolleyes:

They don't use tranducers, so the calculated superheat is actually a TD not superhaet at all, RDM cannot fill the evaporator anyway near as well as the Danfoss.

Their controllers are just a copy of ELM, remember ELM networks do a reboot once a day to initialise the controllers which have stopped working properly our the 24hr period.

Cheap system, not near the energy savings of a Danfoss system.

Anyway RDM are comming in to sell themselves to us next week so I will see what they have to offer us then.

Kind Regards. Andy.:)

chillin out
28-02-2006, 12:31 AM
We have been through that.....boring as $hite.

Could have just given us a book and saved a day in the office.

Chillin:) :)

whiffnsniff
28-02-2006, 01:12 AM
Considerable energy savings can be made if you know how to set them up properly.
Genltmen,I was just replying to the initial post.
A question was asked on opinion and I have given one.
Because Danfoss probes are specified by M&S, You can use any 2k or PT1000 probe,the options there.

And no I'm not a RDM salesperson

cookster
28-02-2006, 09:36 PM
Hi to all
I was wondering what the concensus was amongst the engineers that work with various systems, such as elm,jtl,rdm etc. Which system was the most user friendly,the reason i ask this. Is that i had a conversation with an other engineer who regarded jtl as the best system he had worked with.But when i had the same conversation with an other engineer they preffered elm/rdm to jtl as they thought that they were easier to get there heads round it than other systems. I was wondering what everybody else thought on this subject.

Cheers,

Tony.:)
i work 4 hussmann and have used and replaced every controller out there, pros and cons with all, cdk most reliable as long as no inverter involved (comms faults) danfoss microcool very good as is elm but always changing probes.front ends seem to be a thing of the past these days. cpc controllers popping up everywhere and very user friendly.

tonydeith
28-02-2006, 10:04 PM
Hi guys
personally i find rdm the most user friendly as they give you the tools to do all the front end stuff such as layouts and alarm settings yourself. Their training is pretty good and generally its free. I dare say we all have our prefrences, i have never really worked with danfoss but other guys that i know think it is a very good system but a bit over complicated for supermarkets.

I have worked with cdk but i think it is begining to fall behind the likes of rdm and danfoss systems and the particular chain that i deal with is about to phase out their systems to use rdm solely on their sites to make use of the energy saving features on both front ends and pack controllers, should be fun:eek:

Cheers tony.:)

Rackman
09-03-2006, 01:06 AM
I have seen these CPC controllers cropping up all over the place, they can be used for all pack configurations. Good to see some decent new stuff

commercial guy
02-04-2006, 08:32 PM
I'm liking the new danfoss ekc controllers,the old microcool can be a bit of a pig to navigate with the handset!
Also rdm seems very user friendly, especially with a pc based front end. As for probes,the danfoss sensors,
with the little spring on the back have got to be the most robust probes i've come across with very few failiures per site number used.

kevinlandry
03-04-2006, 01:16 PM
Danfoss is the best method in supermarkets. It is more user friendly and has almost endless capabilities.

oldwolf
03-04-2006, 05:19 PM
If the topic is refrigeration alarms, then Micro Thermo's MT Alliance deserves a look. They started in the alarm business before doing refrigeration control, HVAC, lighting and energy management.

They offer an alarm center for all stores if they are connected on the supermarket corporate network. For each store, a few thousand points are kept every minute for up to 3 years. Everything is logged: who did what and when. Very nice trend graph capability. Available through web pages. No more silly modems. Access thru internet via Virtual Private Network.

Peter_1
05-04-2006, 09:34 PM
System of Micro Thermo's MT Alliance looks very similar to RMS/RAdford.

oldwolf
18-04-2006, 11:55 PM
Indeed. Little brothers look alike. Carrier owns Linde which owns Radford. And Carrier owns Microthermo.

To my knowledge, they did not share anything during their respective developments. It is just a case of naturally converging towards similar solutions. Like the shape of a fish as a solution to swimming under water.

kaelte_technik
25-04-2006, 12:28 PM
Tony deith,

Have to agree with Andy, Danfoss Adapkool is one of the friendly user ems. We have installed a lot of this in my country and have'nt got any problem at all. It is easier to maintain.

Kaelte_tecknik

Vegas
26-04-2006, 11:13 AM
Hi Guys , at the moment i think CPC E2 is the go...At first a bit complex but once you get around it a few times it is brillant

Dan
27-04-2006, 01:43 AM
In the states, it appears to be a dead heat between Danfoss and CPC, with Danfoss gaining share. Both controllers are excellent. I am partial to CPC because I like Ultra-site as a dial up interface. Danfoss is capitalizng on LON network and in-house monitoring capabilities.

For the small chain or individual customer, I would go with CPC because of its graceful simplicity. The larger chains are tending now toward Danfoss.