PDA

View Full Version : is my split system trash??

chillyjag
25-07-2013, 02:39 PM
Some time back in feb I posted questions regarding flexible lines for a small split system installed to my caravan. After trying and failing to come up with a solution , I went with copper lines....and i tried to operate the unit several days into a long trip....no go 'cause the lines had fractured at the flares...compressor made noises but not much else happened....the next day i shut the service valves and sealed the busted pipes up.

..... 'Armacell Flexifast' from the UK said they could make lines for me, but that was after i went with the copper pipe...

The question is - if I can fix my pipe issue is it worth recharging or has the comp spat out oil and/or being a R410a system i assume the oil may have absorbed too much moisture....
Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Rob White
25-07-2013, 02:46 PM

If the system is of a reasonable quality it should
have had safeties built in to protect its self.

If the flare joint cracked and the gas was lost it would have been quick
and therefor any lost oil would be near the joint so
you could judge for yourself.

In my opinion it should be ok and would be worth the attempt to
repair it.

Regards

Rob

The Viking
25-07-2013, 04:01 PM
Only thing to make sure if you decide to replace the pipes is that the system get's a good vacuum before it is recharged.

Triple vacc will speed things up and the last one should be deep and standing to ensure all the moisture is gone.

:cool:

chemi-cool
25-07-2013, 08:55 PM
even if you have lost all the charge, there is still refrigerant in at atmospheric pressure, air is not entering the system.

chillyjag
26-07-2013, 01:47 AM
thanks for your replies guys,
I should mention that the high and low pressure pipes sheared right off the flares, hence my concern re moisture ingress. No obvious signs of oil lekage though. the system is a Galanz 2.5kw AUS-09H53r150L

chillyjag
26-07-2013, 01:48 AM
thanks for your replies Rob,
I should mention that the high and low pressure pipes sheared right off the flares, hence my concern re moisture ingress. No obvious signs of oil leakage though. the system is a Galanz 2.5kw AUS-09H53r150L

Makeit go Right
28-07-2013, 09:49 PM
Burgaflex make flexible hoses. You can buy a length and cut it to size, then fit the connectors to flare joints afterwards. Need a ratchet hand tool to secure the connectors to the tube.

(RyanAirConSpares on the Internet used to distribute this pipe+fittings. Can't easily see it there now. Suggest call Burgaflex and get distributors, maybe:

Tel: +44 (0) 1706 620220
Fax: +44 (0) 1706 620611
Email: info@burgaflex.co.uk)

Photos of the bits here:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003MH0I50

rubybree
11-08-2013, 04:57 PM
In Spain, Galanz tend to manufacture budget units for supermarket chains (I presume similar to Woolworths in Australia). They are about €190 here for a 9k unit. I charge €80 to repair and regas a unit. Take care on the re-flaring and make sure you don't overtighten. You can get torque spanners, but if your only doing one, its probably not worth the expense.