PDA

View Full Version : Thermoelectric Coolers

revol131
21-10-2001, 04:59 PM
i am studying engineering at college in england and i am taking on a project about portable fridges. i came across thermoelecic fridges and the idea looks very promising. i have seen 'thermoelectric coolers' on the web, and i was unsure of exactly how they work. i understand it is a simple circuit with a peice of bismuth used as the cooler/heater. what i would like to know is how this technology is applied in the cooler itself? i.e, size of components, cost of parts, ease of making, cooling potential, etc.

if you can offer me any information we could be useful to me i would be most grateful.

innes

Brian_UK
21-10-2001, 08:07 PM
Hi revol131 and welcome.

The devices are based on the Peltier heat pump principle. I don't have in depth knowledge of these although I do know that my picnic cooler box works because of one fitted to the lid.

So you could spend about 40-50GBP to buy one and then wreck it to get at the insides or you could try the RS website who sell the components themselves RS (http://rswww.com) . Try 'searching' for peltier, they do have a datsheet, ref 232-3052, which describes the beasties in pdf format.

Good luck in your researches.

Derek
22-10-2001, 11:45 AM
I have great service from these guys on peltier modules.

Thermoelectric Modules - Peltier www.Marlow.com

Marlow Industries Europe
Aberdeen House
South Road, Haywards Heath
West Sussex, RH16 4NG, UK
Tel: (44) 1444 44 34 04
Fax: (44) 1444 44 33 34
e-mail: support@marlow-europe.co.uk

Simple solutions but inefficient they do sell a TEC with fan cooler
all ready to go for about £200 ish depending on rating.

revol131
22-10-2001, 09:08 PM
cheers guys, your information is really proving useful.

the main problem i have is that im on a pretty small budget. the college will only give me £40 for all of my materials. (i have to actually make a complete cooler on this)

what i really need to know now is what size of peltier device would i need to keep a small box about 300x200x100 at around 10oC, assuming it is all insulated, and how much would one of these devices cost around?