PDA

View Full Version : sometimes... *pic*

Tycho
15-02-2006, 06:54 AM
all you can do is shake your head

http://www.pbase.com/kimmo98/image/56111698.jpg

Not the best picture, but what you are looking at is the cylinder head of a 2cyl Grasso... that thing you see above it, with the hole in it is the deck... about an inch over the cylinder head :)

a co-worker of mine had to cut a hole in the trawldeck to access it a few months back, glad it wasnt me :)

Andy
15-02-2006, 10:07 PM
Hi Tyco:)
I have to say the picture of the Grasso made me laugh.

What good the hole would be is anybodys guess, especially as the linner and piston has to come out the top to change the small end bearings and the piston rings.:D :D

What were the installers thinking off:eek:

Kind Regards. Andy:)

rbartlett
16-02-2006, 06:39 AM
Hi Tyco:)
I have to say the picture of the Grasso made me laugh.

What were the installers thinking off:eek:

"who designed this?"

cheers

richard

Tycho
16-02-2006, 05:51 PM
The tiny hole you see in the picture is made by the yard (for hanging pulleys)

you see two white lines above the compressor, thats where they cut the hole with a blowtorch, and welded it back in.

"who designed this?"

A former engineer in our company :) I took over the project about half way, and at that time it was to late to find a new place for the compressors (it's one above another, this is the top one), it could be lowered a few inches, but then you'd have to remove the top comp and remove the foundation to get to the bottom one:)

Mark C
17-02-2006, 04:49 PM
My first assignment as a 17 YO refrigeration "technician" was to help a senior Serviceman by the name of Frank Rodoni to overhaul a completely shelled-out York Y-53 12 cylinder. I put the long crankshaft in my service truck and drove to the ice skating rink, presenting myself for work.

Frank welcomed me to the brotherhood and told me to unload the crank. I did so. Upon turning around, there was Frank. He handed me a chisel and sledge hammer. I asked what it was for and he told me the first lesson for a engineer was to learn proper clearances for installation.:eek:

He pointed to an "X" on the wall and told me to chisel out that concrete block. He then explained that it was simply easier than wrestling the huge cast iron motor from the other direction on a the shaft-coupled compressor off the mounts. ....We had to pass the 7 foot long crankshaft through the hole in the wall to install it!

His second lesson taht day was even more memorable... I smelled ammonia for the first time.

Josip
17-02-2006, 06:07 PM
:) LOL

Almost perfect shortcut, of course in conjunction with that remarkable service tools:)

Andy
18-02-2006, 11:32 AM
His second lesson taht day was even more memorable... I smelled ammonia for the first time.

I remember training an apprentice in this manner:D :D

I freind of mine asked me to take his "wee" brother for a few weeks experience.

The fellow was 16 or 17 years old and well over 6'.

We were servicing a SMC108S Sabroe recip it goes a bit like this.

Now watch yourself I am going to take the side cover of and there will be a bit of a smell. Yea ok was the reply.

The cover was off and so was the lad, straight to the plantroom door which opened in. He tried to push it out, nearly did too:D :D . When I caught him he was sitting outside eyes streaming, gasping for air.

I have to say it woke him up, he listened to me after that.