PDA

View Full Version : Inverter or Non-Inverter (Need Help according to my Daily Usage)

Dezaremos
14-07-2013, 02:32 PM
Guyz;

I am planning to buy a new aircon and I need advice whether to to go inverter or not.

The daily usage will be during 11am-3pm (hot hours) and 9pm-2am (sleeping). Except rainy days.

My question is would I benefit in Inverter Aircon with a non-straight usage daily? Or Inverter only benefits a 8hr straight usage?

I've heard that an Inverter Aircon throttles down to low power after reaching the set temperature. Question is how long does it reach the set temp (ex: 14 sq meters room - temp 27) ??

If reaching a stable set temp takes hours before the inverter throttles down the condenser, for example I turned on the AC at 11am and it reaches a stable temp 2hrs after, so there's only 2 hrs left up to 3pm before I turn it off.

Would I benefit in Inverter with this kind of non-straight usage ??? Or I need a minimum of 8hr straight before I can benefit with the inverter ???

Need help coz I don't wanna invest on an expensive AC if there will be no savings benefit with short hours usage ..

The Viking
14-07-2013, 04:49 PM
Hi Dezaremos and welcom to the forum.

The shorter the usage periods the more benefits of an inverter.
Basically it is not the running of a system that causes most wear and tear on the compressor, it is the starts. An inverter will make the starts much less damaging on the compressor. Also, when a standard non inverted compressor starts the current goes of the scale for a short period of time and this will increase the power consumption.

Another thing to bear in mind, most reputable brands has now gone over to inverter driven compressors so if you are offered a non inverter nowadays it is probably of lesser quality to start with.

:cool:

Dezaremos
14-07-2013, 05:23 PM
Hi The Viking, Thank you for the reply.

It's not the wear and tear than I'm worried about, its the cost of buying an inverter AC for the energy savings which I will not benefit due to my usage of less than 8hrs.

I've read from other internet reviews that the measure of inverter vs non-inverter in terms of power consumption was done in full straight 8hrs. Some also said that to really break even on the expensive initial cost of and inverter AC is if you're using it atleast 8hrs daily, because if i'm not gonna use it above 8hrs, they said I'll just get a non-inverter.

I've also read that the only way an inverter AC saves energy is if it reaches the set temp and it throttles the compressor down. So how long will it take to for and AC to reach the set temp before it throttles to low power?? Because if for example it needs 2-3hrs to reach a stable temp before it throttles down then I don't really have energy save because by then I'm gonna turn off the AC on the 4th hr and run it again at night when I go to sleep.

The Viking
14-07-2013, 07:27 PM
Dezaremos,

How long is a piece of string?

How long it will take for your aircon to reach set point depends on how it's capacity matches the required duty.

And as I said above, your inverter will save you money each and every time the compressor starts.

Out of interest, what brands are you looking at?
As I said above, you be hard pushed to find a reputable brand flogging non inverters.

nike123
15-07-2013, 03:56 AM
And as I said above, your inverter will save you money each and every time the compressor starts.

Many time I have heard this argument in favor of inverter vs non-inverter.
Lets quantify that savings, just to see in numbers how much is that.
Here, in this PDF, is some oscilogram of current consumption of noninverter 1 phase compressor typical for ductless split-system AC.
http://www.apyeng.com/pdf_file/Spec_1phaseSoftST_V4.pdf

As we can see from oscilogram at first picture, increased current consumption lasts only 11 cycle's, which mean 0,22 seconds (1 second = 50 cycle's). In that time it is about 7-8 times of normal current.
If air-conditioner works daily 24 hours at 80% duty cycle, and in that time has 4 starts per hour, than we can calculate how much difference is that comparing with case if start is normal with no inrush current like in inverter driven compressor.
24*0,8=19,2 hours
19,2*60*60=69120 seconds

Starting time:
24*4*0,22=21,2 seconds
If current is 8 times grater in that time, than we can say 21.2*8=169,6 seconds is equivalent cumulative nominal current during starts in that day.

Lets put that in relation to rest of the working time.
((169,6/(69120-21,2))*100 =0,245445652%

Therefore, savings from soft start of inverter are negligible in real life situation.

Feel free to correct me if my assumptions are unreal and math is wrong!

Dezaremos
15-07-2013, 02:06 PM
Dezaremos,

How long is a piece of string?

How long it will take for your aircon to reach set point depends on how it's capacity matches the required duty.

Out of interest, what brands are you looking at?
As I said above, you be hard pushed to find a reputable brand flogging non inverters.

I'm planning to buy a Panasonic 1.5 HP Econavi Inverter. My room is only small, about 16 sq meters.

So how long does it take to cool a 16 sq meter room and throttles down ??

nike123
15-07-2013, 02:34 PM
It depend on many factors. If it is purely insulated, with lots off glass surfaces and some heat load, maybe newer.
Surface is not indicator of required power. It is one of many variables.

Dezaremos
15-07-2013, 03:20 PM
It depend on many factors. If it is purely insulated, with lots off glass surfaces and some heat load, maybe newer.
Surface is not indicator of required power. It is one of many variables.

Its concrete and only 2 windows facing the front side .. beside the 1st room is the 2nd room with no windows, it has a small intake fan getting air from the 1st room's 2 windows ...

The reason for my questions is because if I won't get savings in getting an inverter then I might as well get a non-inverter window type, it will be 50% cheaper ..

The Viking
15-07-2013, 03:40 PM
The reason for my questions is because if I won't get savings in getting an inverter then I might as well get a non-inverter window type, it will be 50% cheaper ..

In which case, assuming you can stand the noise and air distribution issues, get the window rattler...

:o

Dezaremos
15-07-2013, 04:13 PM
In which case, assuming you can stand the noise and air distribution issues, get the window rattler...

:o

well the noise is not much of a problem, it's the energy consumption is thats an important factor cause here in the philippines, electricity is really expensive.. and if going with inverter saves not much on electricity bill then the cheaper non-inverter will be fine.. the not much i've mentioned refers to the savings against the return on investment based on my usage which is only 11am-3pm and 9pm-2pm .. i have a feeling that based on my usage, it will take years before the savings of inverter compensated the initial cost, 4yrs or more maybe ..

if it will take that long plus the maintenance cost of inverter which is expensive then I think I'm not in a winning situation here, right ??

what do you guyz think ??

nike123
15-07-2013, 04:25 PM
Pretty much right!

Dezaremos
16-07-2013, 03:45 PM
Pretty much right!

Most of the reviews stated that the Inverter AC test by Manufacturers in efficiency with a minimum of 8hrs to compare with non-inverter. Does this mean that if you run it less than 8hrs, you will not benefit that much or the consumption is more or less the same with non-inverter ??

dorinspeedy
16-07-2013, 05:32 PM
In my oppinion an inverter split type aircon is good only in matter of comfort, as is ramps compressor up and down to match set temperature, not only like on-off compressor aircon when you will feel cool when compressor is on and cold when compressor is off, and inverters aicon of 9k BTU modulate betwen 5kBTU to 11kBTU, about efficiency and consumption its a long run, anyway you will stress electrical instalation less. In EU is import and sell only inverters, on-off only at the end of stocks.

Dezaremos
16-07-2013, 05:41 PM
In my oppinion an inverter split type aircon is good only in matter of confort, as is ramps compressor up and down to match set temperature, not only like on-off compressor aircon when you will feel cool when compressor is on and cold when compressor is off, and inverters aicon of 9k BTU modulate betwen 5kBTU to 11kBTU, about effieciency and consumption its a long run, enyway you will stress electrical instalation less. In EU is import only inverters, on-off only at the end of stocks.

I understand that the benefit of Inverter AC in efficiency & consumption is in the long run. What I wanna know is if I'm running less than 8hrs or a partial 4hrs morning & 4hrs at night, would the inverter still work and lower my electricity bill or it needs to be running straight 8hrs to be efficient ???

dorinspeedy
16-07-2013, 05:57 PM
Yes it will work for you, all depends on temerature you have in the room when you start AC and what temperature you whant to obtain in the room, calculate the heat load of the room and choose an inverter to match that load, in my oppinion 9kBTU is sufficient if is inverter, on-off maybe larger.

Dezaremos
16-07-2013, 06:04 PM
Yes it will work for you, all depends on temerature you have in the room when you start AC and what temperature you whant to obtain in the room, calculate the heat load of the room and choose an inverter to match that load, in my oppinion 9kBTU is sufficient if is inverter, on-off maybe larger.

I think I will start with the minimum temp, 27 and work it down as per comfort needed .. How long does it take before it reaches a stable temp and throttles down the compressor for energy savings.. I will be using it 4hrs morning so it needs to throttles down at the 1st hr so that there will be energy savings in the remaining 3hrs ..