PDA

View Full Version : ammonia or R404a

mre212
07-07-2013, 02:54 PM
Hello all,
i would like to know which better to use ammonia or R404a. why?
Thanks & Regards

danny_s_pike
07-07-2013, 04:59 PM
Both have pros and cons, and both have their own place. The biggest advantages with ammonia is that is has a much higher cooling capacity than *****s, is friendly to the atmosphere and it costs only a fraction compared to *****s in general. The major advantage with *****, such as R404a, is that it's not as toxic as ammonia. R404a damages the ozone layer, is way more expensive and has a lower capacity for cooling.

Ammonia is usually intended for industrial settings and is closely monitored by qualified personnel, simply because of its toxicity. R404a can be used without constant monitoring and is intended for industrial and especially, commercial and domestic use. Hope that helps ;)

Rob White
08-07-2013, 12:01 AM

As stated above Ammonia tends to be used in larger commercial and
industrial plants. It has a far higher ability to transfer heat compared to
404 and is environmentally friendly.

One disadvantage with ammonia is it is toxic to humans so tends
not to be used in built up areas, where leaks can cause problems
with the neighbors.

Regards

Rob

Josip
08-07-2013, 10:16 AM
He, mre212 :)

Hello all,
i would like to know which better to use ammonia or R404a. why?
Thanks & Regards

If your plant is within industrial area then definitely ammonia .... as per above posts ...
I'm ammonia guy and I prefer ammonia .... regarding ammonia toxicity ... even hot or cold water can kill you, but we drink it ... think about that;)

I suggest you to search RE forums for "ammonia" to read more about ....

Best regards, Josip :)

camelCase
17-07-2013, 06:10 PM
Josip - Water can't collect in large quantities of invisible gas that can suffocate you.

Granted it collects in large quantities of visible liquid - and people still find ways to drown.

Grizzly
17-07-2013, 06:56 PM
Josip - Water can't collect in large quantities of invisible gas that can suffocate you.

Granted it collects in large quantities of visible liquid - and people still find ways to drown.

And your point is?
Grizzly