PDA

View Full Version : Daikin VRV 2 EEV issues.

wigs
07-07-2013, 01:12 PM
A client of ours has an unreliable VRV 2 System. They have had multiple refrigerant leaks on the Electronic valves within the fan coils. We have been to site and replaced 3 on separate occasions. On each occasion we have had to replace 40kg of lost R401a, so as you can imagine after replacement part, pressure testing, evacuating the system and recommissioning it turns into expensive repairs.
The client is always upset that this has keeps happening, and as the company that looks after this equipment its feels embarrassing to have to explain yet another part has failed. This has happened with about the frequency of every 6 months. They have also had 2 inverter compressors replaced and another leak on the condenser coil.

In one year they spent £9000.00 in repairs, and on one system thats too high.

This is an install we have inherited, and have taken over the maintenance for the last few years. it was an untidy install with lack of brackets holding up pipework, uncut cable ties missing flare nut covers. These minor things are repaired during servicing, but wont be a cause of the issues.

Being a contractor that wants to offer a solution to reducing costs for them I am asking you guys. I have some feelings why it is the way it is, but I don't know everything, and with the collective knowledge of the forum maybe someone has a solution.
I have been in the industry for 20+ years ands its the most unreliable system I have come across.

How can we reduce the likely hood of these electronic valves from failing in the future?
Why this is happening?
Anyone know if this is a common problem?

install monkey
07-07-2013, 02:06 PM
we've had 3 vrv2 systems running for 4 yrs
each had dropped their gas due to 45deg bends fracturing on the main run
had 1 bs box stick and hiss its nuts off
1 noisy lift pump
1 cracked indoor fan blade on a 600sq cassette that frank diagnosed and currently have about 4 indoor pbcs generating a comms fault on the i touch. otherwise never had any lev's fail

wigs
07-07-2013, 02:47 PM
Same site also had a cracked fan impeller, causing excessive vibration due to imbalance. Its as if the equipment was in a car crash prior to install. lol

Neddy
09-07-2013, 07:52 PM
My experience with the Daikin VRV 2 is that they are very trouble some unless they are installed correctly. I've had outdoor EEVs leak. Indoor coils leak. As for compressors I've replaced dozens!

wigs
09-07-2013, 09:07 PM
My impression and opinion, judging from the untidiness of the install, is this system possibly installed without nitrogen when brazing, the system was just poorly commissioned. Possibly the evacuation was not to the correct standard. Over pressure tested, due to trying to find small leaks on installation, possibly trapped nitrogen when new. Due to all these extra stresses the system is now suffering. Generally I have found with the Daikin VRV 2 system to be good, well built and reliable. (Not sure all will agree with me)

I agree with you Neddy, If installed well, commissioned well, then you should not have many issues.

I am however curious wether anyone else, has any other ideas.

El Padre
15-07-2013, 12:56 AM
Hi Wigs,

Any sign of UV dye in the system? The dye reacts with the seals in the LEVs.
Cheers