PDA

View Full Version : Coughing by technicians

Peter_1
05-07-2013, 07:10 AM
This is a serious question about cough. Are there members who suffer from a mild cough or the tendency to cough? My son was recently hospitalized. He had caused a short circuit on a 700A cable in front of him. He has been blind for two days. Everything is again fine now.
But during his visit in the hospital, they put a sensor in its nose that measured oxygen intake of the lungs.
There they found that there may be something wrong with the oxygen in his lungs. He must now undergo a specialized investigation in late August.
But in the meantime my wife noticed, however, that we cough quite regularly. And now the suspicion that this might be due to refrigerant gases could be.

r.bartlett
05-07-2013, 11:07 AM
I'm fine...

Reeferman27
05-07-2013, 11:38 AM
I put it down to smoking.

monkey spanners
05-07-2013, 01:52 PM
I hope your son soon recovers from his injuries Peter. I haven't notice that i have been coughing more than usual.

Josip
05-07-2013, 04:31 PM
He, Peter_1 :)

I'm a smoker so .... but I didn't notice any change (regarding refrigerants) during all those years ...

Hope your son has some temporary problem and he will recover soon ... keep us updated.

Best regards, Josip :)

install monkey
05-07-2013, 07:31 PM
peter- hope ur lad makes a full recovery, my lad, 2nd yr ac apprentice, out at weekend with his mates, his mate decides to have a wee up against his wheelie bin, my lad decides to run up and kick the bins so his mate gets covered in wee- unfortunatly he dislocated his knee and is having upto 6wk off!:D

al
05-07-2013, 10:04 PM
I've not noticed it Peter, there were reported issues with R134a and asthma sufferers.

i hope your son's confidence doesn't suffer.

alec

stufus
05-07-2013, 11:35 PM
Sorry to hear about your son Peter , Hope he makes a full recovery.
Again as a smoker ,more so this week due to having to work with Al all week, I would have to say I have not noticed regular coughing ,Unless of course I'm about to blow a gasket and let some poor unfortunate have both barrels.
I would "guess" burning of the airways caused by the flashing out of the short on the cable.
But I'm certainly no doctor
Cheers
Stu

Magoo
06-07-2013, 04:45 AM
Hi Peter 1 All the best for a speedy recovery for your son. Possibly he has in hailed vaporized metals and plastics and a lot of ozone. Arch flash eye damage is serious. All the best

chemi-cool
06-07-2013, 07:36 AM
All the best to your son Peter,
Had years ago something simular when i've dropped a screwdriver inside an electric board and it fell straight on the supply cables causing a huge arc lightning, i was blind for a few hours.
I only cough from smoking and if by accident some refrigerant get burnt, it chokes and iritate the thraot.

Tesla
06-07-2013, 08:59 AM
Hi Peter
Sorry about your son and hope he recovers 100% - will be a good story topper. I gave up smoking 4 months ago and don't currently work as a technician but I do get a cough and cold symptoms when ever I clean out a batch of filters.

Abe
07-07-2013, 01:02 PM
All the best to your son Peter. Just shows how dangerous gases can be. Cannot be too careful I say. I know from my time in refrigeration, gases always affected me.

The MG Pony
09-07-2013, 01:45 AM
I'd wager it is damage due to the arc, vapourized copper and ozon and other nasties, he won't be a happy camper for some moths after wards but out look is very good, now days they are good at treating this and his body will do the rest!

Wishing him a speedy and full recovery! bty get him glucosamine sulfate supliments, did wonders with my leg injury, it is a building block for the body.

Peter_1
09-07-2013, 04:34 PM
Thanks for all the replies and the best wishes. My question was also because after this accident, I suddenly realised I also have a tendencancy to coughing. My wife already told me this in the past and I allways thought she was not right.