PDA

View Full Version : Training to become Air conditioning engineer

kevin_in_devon
30-06-2013, 10:35 PM
Hi All,

I want to start the training for a career as a refrigeration and air conditioning technician. I am 30 years old and I live in South Devon.

I have a family to support and so cannot survive on apprenticeship wages. Could someone please advise me as to the qualifications employers require in under to get a job in the industry once qualified on wages that are reasonable (as a start around 20,000 +) and whether intensive courses are available in the UK (ideally in devon). If not, if you could point me in the direction of any suitable courses that would be great.

Thanks,
Kevin

Rob White
30-06-2013, 11:36 PM

Kev what do you do at the moment?

Being a air-conditioning engineer is not something you can do in
an intensive training course.

There are legal qualifications like Fgas that you are required and
then there are qualifications that demonstrate you understand
the principles of the industry.

if you are electrically trained, you will have an advantage.

Experience and training is what the employer wants to see and
there is no real short cut to that. If you do a short course the
employer will not be impressed. You need to look at doing a
training course and you need experience. You might have to work
for free before anyone will set you on.

£20000 odd thousand a year is about £10 an hour so it is doable
but without experience and qualifications you will struggle.

Sorry if I'm coming over all negative but it's hard out there at the moment
and qualified engineers are worried about there jobs, so somebody
with no knowledge of the industry is going to struggle.

Wish you all the luck.

Regards

Rob

bigspee
30-06-2013, 11:45 PM
the courses teach you principles and a bit of practical to gain an understanding but you really learn from on the job training. I worked as an electrician for a refrigeration company and put myself through college and got f-gas and went out on site with time served engineers to get some experience and it was quite daunting because I'd only ever worked on little test rigs. So I couldn't have just left college and gone straight into it.

Aman ali
25-11-2013, 08:33 PM
Hai, Its Aman

Actually I am working on domestic units ,so please suggest me how much difficult for me to working on commercial units.

Thank You

Rob White
26-11-2013, 09:19 AM
Hai, Its Aman

Actually I am working on domestic units ,so please suggest me how much difficult for me to working on commercial units.

Thank You

The principles are the same, the science is the same, the difference
is in the scale and size of the components you will work on.

Domestics tend to be single systems, commercial can use multiple
systems and complex controls.

Rob

still learning
26-11-2013, 07:07 PM
anyone who wants to do something with persaverance can . imho.
i arrived at aircon due to a labour shortage .
had worked with a motor mechanical back ground , both panel beating and spraying , general building work , a bit of plumbing with a mate on a big contract
( who took me on as new i would turn up and turn my hand to anything ).
i am not a spark , but can do whats needed for install , someone else can bring the power.
and can bend pipe and braze .
on my second fgas ticket .
love the job .
yes work is tight .
so kevin from devon , i wish you luck .
good work attendance and a can do attitude , willingness to learn .
its just getting that start .

charlie patt
26-11-2013, 08:22 PM
unless you no someone in the trade it could be hard..... most weeks we receive applicants who have done a intensive course and assume they walk into a job but we also receive applicants with ten years service in ref or ac so its a no brainer for me but dont give up do your course if nothing in south devon try a different route maybee one of the bigger firms need a delivery driver or storeman if you show your reliable and reliable your half way in. swat do courses in liskeard i dont no if intensive ones or bridgewater coll if you can wangle some days of good luck

shanonmethod
30-11-2013, 09:45 AM
I think this link is more valuable for you.
Read this link for more information:-
http://www.epa.gov/iaq/schooldesign/hvac.html

:cool::cool::cool:

Jbaz
13-04-2014, 05:26 AM
Hi kev,

I'm new to this forum but am in the same position as yourself in regards of trying to break into this industry. I am currently studying to obtain my F gas that I am paying for myself but have no experience working with fridges or the practical side of things. I am finding it increasingly difficult to gain experience as I cannot find any company willing to give people like myself a break, as they all require experienced engineers. I am looking to start off at the bottom ideally doing case cleaning and work my way up as I am determined and very hard working as I am very keen to prove to anyone willing to give me the opportunity. So if there is anyone out there that may be able to give me some advice/tips on the f gas exam or even as kind as to offer a case cleaning job I would be very grateful and prove I am worth investing in.

Brian_UK
13-04-2014, 07:57 PM
Whereabouts in south Devon are you Kevin?

back2space
14-04-2014, 01:20 PM
I'm also looking to do this now. I work currently in facilities management helpdesk have very good technical knowledge of hvac but no qualifications and I'm based in Leeds.

Loops
15-04-2014, 02:09 PM
Kevin,

Just a thought but Toshiba have their aircon plant at Porsham Close, Roborough nth Plymouth (out on the Tavistock Rd).

Slim chance I know but could be worth dropping them your CV.

Even if you do another role there and pick up the AC info as you go.

Good Luck

Loops

vkseth
06-05-2014, 08:00 AM
I think this link is more valuable for you.
check this link for more information:- http://www.ierfeducation.org/