PDA

View Full Version : TK SLe and poly-v belts

nova
12-02-2006, 08:44 AM
Anyone have experience of SLe's poly-v belt's "tendency to leave the host unit"? :D
This usually happens during winter times with lots of snow (powder snow). In Finland this has been quite big problem especially on draw bar trailers where truck makes snow to circulate between truck & trailer so that snow packs inside the trailer unit.

EDIT: I'll dig out an image I've taken of snow packed unit.

Reeferjon
15-02-2006, 06:30 PM
Will ask the question

nova
17-02-2006, 05:56 PM
Here are some images of very common happening when having low ambient temp and snow. Imagine if you startup the engine! Well, you only need to rotate pulley with your hand and belts slips off...:mad:

http://www.kolumbus.fi/cool/Snowball.jpg
http://www.kolumbus.fi/cool/Snowball 2.jpg

alpha
17-02-2006, 07:06 PM
Good grief :D

Reeferjon
20-02-2006, 10:39 AM
I dont think I will ever complain about snow again :eek:

reefermadness
04-03-2006, 10:03 PM
Hey, this is something i can relate to. Coming from Canada i know snow. The unit u are showing doesn't exist in canada, we only have TK's with V-belts, but the snow packed ino the reefer like that is very common. It causes all sorts of problems, mostly electric. We don't have "SL" series Tk's yet, only "SB", which are the best we have.

Thats fun to work on whent the ambient is -35C!

nova
18-03-2006, 05:56 PM
Yep! This winter we had -42C at northern finland! You are lucky ones to have SB's, which IMO are the best trailer units ever made (ok, perhaps Carrier Thunderbird is even better). With some weldings to the frame SB-II's and SB-III's will run forever.
I haven't been in touch with new SB series, but I downloaded a SB-400 refrigeration system manual from NAD info central and that unit seems to be a monster what comes to ref system :D

reefermadness
18-03-2006, 08:45 PM
If i am right, i believe that the SB-400 series is the scroll compressor model? I havn't worked on one of those, but one our customers has an SB Magnum. This was the very first model with the scroll here. They arne't that bad, as long as the comp doesn't pile up. The cool like a *******. Other than the spectrum controller and the ETV being added, Tk's are all the same. Oh, the multi's are a little more thinking, witht the newer invertables, like the SB-III SR Whisper TCI.

Speaking of the weldings, on Sb frames.... this is killing them here very fast as the road salt and snow eats them alive. There are more Sentry's and SNWD's on the road than SB-II's. I see a lot with chunks of the frame missing! The old Carriers are tough for rust, but the Ultra's are very bad for it.... same thing, chunks of frame missing.

I even had the pleasure of working on a SBI yesterday.... what was TK thinking! Pile of rubbish.

ReeferMadness

nova
19-03-2006, 07:07 AM
IIRC SB-400 doesn't use scroll, but screw compressor (same compressor that has been used on TK bus a/c's).

ETV is the way to go. SL-400 has ETV too, it's excellent. Unit is able to balance in a thin line of overload and maximum capacity. This can be seen on heating capacities at -29C ambient:
SL-200: 8.400 W (28.600 BTU)
SL-400: 14.000 W (47.700 BTU).
Not exact figures, but more or less in that level.

Sure there are other differences between the units, but ETV has dramatic effective on capacities.
Also one important benefit of having ETV is the accuracy of the temperature management. If you've seen my post regarding the OptiSet, there's a temp chart taken from one of our customer's SL-400.

Regards
Nova

reefermadness
19-03-2006, 07:43 PM
Let me put things in perspective..... I have never seen an SL series....never worked on anything with Optiset.... never worked on anything with a Spectrum controller.... i work in vintage reefer land. As far as the etv, i'm still used to reading my gauges with the mechanical, which i still prefer to work on. I would rather rebuild it than just throw it away. I know the etv is much more accurate when it comes to temp control.

Does anyone work on much for carriers??

nova
21-03-2006, 04:54 PM
I used to work for Carrier dealer in Finland. First phase Vector's caused some headaches, but obviously Vector 1800 is quite good unit (?). Vector has ETV too.
Supra series has always worked very well, I especially like Supra 950 Mt multi-temp series, power combined with reliability, hard to beat that.

Latte
21-03-2006, 09:11 PM
Carrier Vector's are brilliant units, now that the modifications on the indoor barbeque ( Carrier engineers know what i am talking about) and the Gennys. No problems at all. I had my reservations when they first come out with everything being electrical but so far so good

Regards

Fatboy

reefermadness
22-03-2006, 02:38 AM
I haven't seen them yet over here in canada. the newest multi's are still the Genisis Ultra's. They don't use the "Advance" micro, just the old Summit. The all electric sounds good to me. Do all the fans etc, work on AC? i would assume so. When you talk about the ETV in a Carrier Vector does this have anything to do with the modulation i have seen on the newest single temp carriers? Why use the unloaders when modulation is so effective? I guess its just a little more conrtol, like iceing on the cake!

Reefermadness

reefermadness
22-03-2006, 02:39 AM
I still see a lot of carriers with no unloaders running on R-500!!

nova
23-03-2006, 03:19 PM
Carrier Vector's are brilliant units, now that the modifications on the indoor barbeque ( Carrier engineers know what i am talking about)

Heater elements modification that was done about 4 years ago after one Vector burned the carage and few trailers? :D

Latte
23-03-2006, 09:21 PM
Hi Nova,
Thats the one !!!!, i saw the pictures and it looked a bit hot. Not quite sure how they proved the vector was at fault considering what little was let but Carrier to their credit played it safe and got the mod's done quickly

Regards

Fatboy

duncan
10-04-2006, 02:30 PM
Hi all. I have had the pleasure of working for T.K and Carrier. I prefer the Carrier units. The Vector for me is great apart from some of the teething problems since the launch. Anyone need info on the technical side feel free to ask and i will see what i can get together for you

nova
22-04-2006, 08:28 AM
When I worked for Carrier, Vector just had 'flexsonic' poly-v belt for water pump (who hasn't heard of this belt, flexsonic = flexible belt, no need of any tensioner system). Has Carrier adopted flexsonic belts to any other unit yet?

thermo690
22-04-2006, 01:14 PM
They have swapped over the top blower box belt to a flexsonic type on the maxima range