PDA

View Full Version : fillers for bottle type cooling tower

engrp
30-06-2013, 08:48 AM
good day to all. just want to get your opinion. we are currently using the standard type of fillers for our cooling tower (existing fillers), and we were offered a different type and brnad of fillers, which supplier says they have already supplied to some customers. i just want to ask if any of you have heard or used this type or brand of fillers (brentwood brand accupac fillers). currently, with the existing type of fillers, we encounter scale adhesion to the fillers, which is very difficult and time consuming to remove. supplier says, scale does not adhere to their fillers(brentwood brand). has any of you used this type and what were your experience ? thank you

hookster
30-06-2013, 09:00 AM
Hi engrp
I would always recommend looking at capital outlay for fillers, branded fillers in my opinion have never showed dramatic improvements over generic options. It is always better to treat the cause rather than the symptoms and if you are getting high scale deposits then water condition should be considered and water softening system addressed.

Grizzly
30-06-2013, 09:13 AM
Hi engrp.
I don't know who makes what I call the drift eliminators.
You are calling them fillers!
Anyway we have various cooling towers which seem to all be using one of the styles shown in your second picture.
So I guess they could of been supplied by your potentially new supplier.

Do you treat your water supply in any way?
Only Heavy scale build up used to be a huge problem here in the UK. Particularly within areas that have hard water (High Limescale content).

We have to monitor (weekly) and dose (continuously) the water (usually with automatic doseing pumps), by law here in the UK
Also the towers are chlorinated every 6 months.

So heavy scale build up can not happen legally anyway.
I suspect the old style are a lot easier to clean once fouled up though.
Good Luck Grizzly

engrp
30-06-2013, 09:38 AM
thanks for the comments, hookster and grizzly.yes we do have problems with our water supply. currently, i am using chemical dosing, and on another tower, am using electronic descaler. but either way, we get heavy concentrations of scale in our shell and tube condenser and , as can be seen, the scale also adheres to the fillers. i am also for adressing the root cause of the problem, which is the water source. but after a number of trials with different suppliers, it seems all their recommendations do not work. thanks again, and will go back to the drawing board, by again, trying to correct our water supply (deep well water, in our case). thanks again for the inputs

RamAir95TA
01-07-2013, 02:03 PM
Fortunately water, being the most abundant natural resource we have on this earth, can be treated no matter how poor the quality it is. Unfortunately no amount of chemical or conditioner is going to remove 100% of calcium and magnesium. In this case it seems obvious to me that you need a softener.