PDA

View Full Version : Scotsman Dc33pa Ice Maker Troubleshooting

Sean LaDart
10-02-2006, 04:44 PM
I am in need of assistance in figuring out what the problem is that I am having. Please bear with me as I am not an AC repairman - trying to fix on my own...

The Ice Maker stoped making ice. What is happening is the pump is not draining the storage bin AND the water that supplies the ice maker with fresh water is not supplying the ice maker with fresh water. The jets that spray the water into the ice molds works - as a matter of fact, there is a huge chunk of ice in the area where the ice cubes are formed.

Researching this on my own - I have concluded that either the WATER INLET VALVE or the PRESSURE SWITCH to the drain pump has gone bad. I am asking for another opinion on what the problem may be and some ways to narrow down to the component that may be at fault. Please ask questions as needed.

Thanks!

Sean A. LaDart

chillin out
10-02-2006, 11:09 PM
What is happening is the pump is not draining the storage bin
Drains are not usually pumped, they just fall in the mains drianage.

the water that supplies the ice maker with fresh water is not supplying the ice maker with fresh water
Eh!

The jets that spray the water into the ice molds works - as a matter of fact, there is a huge chunk of ice in the area where the ice cubes are formed.
I there is no water supply how can you get ice inside?

I have concluded that either the WATER INLET VALVE or the PRESSURE SWITCH to the drain pump has gone bad
I would guess otherwise.

Make sure the drain at the back does not go upwards to the main drain and there is no blockage.

Secondly, open the top of the ice machine and you will find the ice size thermostat. Make sure it is fastened to the evaporator properly.

Chillin:) :)

Sean LaDart
11-02-2006, 12:08 AM
Drains are not usually pumped, they just fall in the mains drianage.

This ice maker has a pump built in that takes water (from melted ice) from the ICE BIN drain to a main house drain.

I there is no water supply how can you get ice inside?

Water fills the ice maker compartment and is recirculated with fresh water being introduced each cycle - mixed with the chilled water. Since no water is being introduced to the ice maker, the recirculated water continues to recirculate until it is frozen - no fresh water comes in to loosen the ice cubes. Hopefully, this makes sense.

open the top of the ice machine and you will find the ice size thermostat. Make sure it is fastened to the evaporator properly.

There is nothing to open on the top of the ice machine... This is a home unit - not a commercial unit... All of the equipment is located at the bottom part of the ice machine (underneath the ICE BIN).

Sean LaDart

chillin out
11-02-2006, 12:18 AM
Can you get a picture and the model number?

Chillin:) :)

aeb200
11-02-2006, 07:05 PM
although there is water coming from jets they may be partially blocked, most common prob with ice macines.
get some food safe cleaner preferrably proper ice machine cleaner (it is a kind of strong vinegar)
circulate for 30 mins then flush.

if there is water in the circulation system and machine gets cold then this is probable cause.

Also check bin level indicator as this smoetimes requires a clean (if light beam sensor)

Peter_1
12-02-2006, 03:50 PM
http://scotsman-ice.com/support/MANUALS/D-F/DC33MN.PDF

Sean LaDart
13-02-2006, 02:43 PM
The model number is in the subject line (Scotsman DC33PA). No further posts are needed on this topic as I have decided to acquire a new ice maker - this one has had a long and good life (12 or more years...) It has earned it's retirement! Thanks for your input...

frank
13-02-2006, 08:41 PM
No further posts are needed on this topic

Geesshh!! :confused:

He gives up easily :D

Peter_1
13-02-2006, 09:01 PM
No thanks, Sean La Dart, you're always welcome.:D