PDA

View Full Version : Coolant Substances

theray
26-06-2013, 03:41 AM
Hi all, I'm curious about liquid coolant choices for an application I'm working on. I'm looking at something similar to a computer water cooling system, for which it seems propylene glycol is a popular additive. I'm wondering, for a similar system (pump, hose, coolant, etc.) Is there any material that can retain it's cool temperature for any extended period of time, a few hours maybe? Or is there a coolant that's more effecient that water + additive to maintain a cool temperature in this type of pump system? The other thing I haven't been able to find, is whether a solid could be used in that type of system (filled in the hose) and simply kept cold from the radiator or pump, rather than continuously having to pump a liquid through to keep it cold? Please let me know if you have any answers, I can't find them anywhere else! Thanks

hookster
26-06-2013, 04:13 AM
Hi it sounds like you need a (PCM) phase change material, a bit more information on the application would be useful though?

theray
26-06-2013, 04:35 AM
I've got a ton equipment at home that I use for my projects. The cooling system never has to get that cold, say 55-65 farenheit, as my garage never gets too hot. But I guess if you think of the typical length of hose for a computer cooling system, I'd like enough to cover or wrap around 40 sq feet tops. I'm curious as to what my options are for this type of application. Thanks man!