PDA

View Full Version : What's the most robust recovery machine?

GC Bermuda
25-06-2013, 04:35 PM
Hi guys.
Our company has been using the promax series, and time after time,the techs are damaging the brand new machines....leaking shaft seals mainly!! I boil it down,to the fact they don't know how to use them,and can't read the manuals...unfortunately!!!
The don't have one each....so they are sharing...thus no one knows who is wrecking them!!!
Surely though,a little drop of liquid can't be wrecking them in 5 mins!! I've used them for years and had no problems,push pull or pumping liquid.
Apart from teaching every member of staff how to use one....Can anyone recommend a good robust machine.
Thanks
GC

hookster
25-06-2013, 08:58 PM
Hi a training exercise seems to be called for. The Promax is a good machine and we have units still in operating that are 10 years old.

install monkey
25-06-2013, 09:55 PM
my promax had a earth fault on the cooling fan- cost 120 quid for repair and the buggers fitted the bolts wrong way round so it rattled -till i got the grinder on it!otherwise lasted 5yr and pumps liquid

GC Bermuda
25-06-2013, 09:56 PM
I agree,the old rg5410's are great..but the new ones seem a bit fragile...including the the rg 6000... So when I strip them down and pressure test them,the shaft seal just leaks...So I'm just trying to find out,which ones to bring to the island next. Any ideas??

PaulZ
26-06-2013, 05:16 AM
We have several CPS CR770E recovery units and they seem to be pretty good, they will pump liquid as well.
They are fairly light and come with a shoulder strap.
Paul

GC Bermuda
26-06-2013, 11:38 AM
What about the Appion G5??? I hear that's pretty solid any supporters?

Gibbo
26-06-2013, 08:28 PM
Top of the range there GC, there is even a distributor on the IOW but I would need your wages to buy it as you know my 2 bob outfit can't afford such Gucci gear. :D

GC Bermuda
27-06-2013, 12:20 AM
To be honest Gibbo, I think the guys here are all using Mickey Mouse manifolds and those hoses with built in shrader depressors,going between the cylinders and the recovery machine...that's the only difference between them and I...and what we used in the UK. As you know,I only draw from large machines...but the lads are wrecking these things on bloody splits!! I think I'm edging toward the G5 machines....
How's the sea side by the way??

Gibbo
27-06-2013, 08:51 PM
Maybe you need to watch them recovering refrigerant and see what the problems are, most Promax,Yellow Jacket and Appion will last for years if used properly, ok the odd one might be a problem now and again but not the number of failures you are talking about.
Appion do a nice kit of hoses and shut off valve rated for either charging or vacuum pretty sure they have a you tube video showing every thing.
Tried to get my lot to give them a try out but he nearly choked on his cheese sandwich. lol
I guess i shouldn't be surprised at a multi million dollar company not supplying a recovery unit to each engineer sounds like the logic your old boss used to use over here bless his cotton socks, he is still a few sausages short of a full barbie and getting worse.
Anyway how come you have a bunch of Filipino's working out there don't you hire and train locals anymore.

Can always fix you up with a bunch of part changers if you like and they even know how to use a recover
unit too.

:D

Gibbo

GC Bermuda
30-06-2013, 02:39 AM
Who have you been talking to??? We have a nice blend of all nationalities working here...just like your mob!! Lol!!
Training I do,teaching common sense...hmmmmm!!
I'm bringing in a few more promax...with hoses...without the poxy schrader suppressors!! And whoever takes one..will sign a waiver understanding the operation manual!! If it comes back screwed...their pocket will get hit!!... Plus,some mug has to do a workshop....all good fun eh!!:eek:

Gibbo
30-06-2013, 06:46 PM
As you well know GC I will work with anybody and everybody even johnny foreginers from Southampton. Anyway at the last count all of our mob are now bonafide uk citizens in fact on a job at a certain establishment some of our upstanding new citizens passed security unlike some but can't say who lol :cool:

All that dosh your making you must have shares in the company by now.
Anyway how do you manage to fit in any work with all that diving, kite surfing and all that other malarkey that goes on in paradise. :D

THE DUDE
17-07-2013, 12:57 AM
Appion G5 Twin is fast for most jobs. Ive hammerd liquid into it a few times and still works as good as it did when it was new.

StarCat
26-08-2013, 10:20 PM
I have used all manner of machines...both oilless, real compressor units, and shop built systems.
I did not find Promax to be a very good unit for the duty and recovery rate which was needed on my end of things.
MOST oilless compressor units I found fully unsatisfactory.
The best real compressor unit I ever ran had a 1/2 HP rotary compressor and it was big and heavy with a tendency to pump oil out of the compressor. It did have an oil sightglass which allowed this not to become a problem. This was a sort of custom built unit made by a small outfit called Meyers in Texas. It had some striking similarities to a Totalline machine marketed by Carrier which I never ran. Electrically and mechanically they looked very similar.
Then, when working on the East coast USA, I undexpectedly found an oilless unit that did the job and more.
The Appion G5 Twin. It was totally unreal compared to any small unit I have ever run going back to 1990.
At the time we were dealing with moving fair quantities of about 6 or more flavors of gas into 100# recovery cylinders in an Ice Machine and Refrigeration shop setting. This machine did the job in good time and outperformed anything I have ever seen in its class.

All the best.