PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Vehicle air conditioning

Click4
13-06-2013, 10:12 PM
Hi, a bit of a newbie question lol, I haven't been doing mobile air conditioning for a massive amount of time and as per my previous posts, still learning and picking up experience.

Been offered a job doing 6 lorries, 4 of which are artics.

I assume they are r134a for just the air con, which means connectors should be the same.

However I have no idea how to go about accessing the high and low ports. Where are they usually found? Under a flap or hatch? Do you open the front grill or does whole can have to be jacked up and opened?

Also is there normally a sticker with weight like on cars?

I appreciate I'm possibly out of my depth but there's a first time for any vehicle and I'm still trying to learn.

Thanks in advance, help and advice will be appreciated.

Wibtech
14-06-2013, 07:48 PM
They are usually under the grill. Each vehicle could be different so I'd find out which vehicles are on the fleet beforehand and Google the vehicle to find out what the refrigerant charge is. Failing that, call the dealer direct - DAF, Scania, Volvo etc.

You'll probably have to jack the cab up on some of the units, if you can't see/access the compressor from underneath. Tip: make sure you open the grill before lifting the cab - if you don't it will be expensive for you.

xamtex
18-06-2013, 05:48 AM
Hi, a bit of a newbie question lol, I haven't been doing mobile air conditioning for a massive amount of time and as per my previous posts, still learning and picking up experience.

Been offered a job doing 6 lorries, 4 of which are artics.

I assume they are r134a for just the air con, which means connectors should be the same.

However I have no idea how to go about accessing the high and low ports. Where are they usually found? Under a flap or hatch? Do you open the front grill or does whole can have to be jacked up and opened?

Also is there normally a sticker with weight like on cars?

I appreciate I'm possibly out of my depth but there's a first time for any vehicle and I'm still trying to learn.

Thanks in advance, help and advice will be appreciated.

TRUCK a/c is serviced just the same as car a/c,the service connectors are under the front grille panel...R134a is used...usually they have a sticker giving you the charge weight.(often stuck on the drier which is usually under the grille aswell.)
ive never had to tilt a cab to recharge a truck,only required if you need access to the compressor for repairs.

Click4
21-06-2013, 06:40 PM
Hi, apologies for late reply,

Thanks for the advice :) so if cab needs jacking, need to open front grill first.
How is that normally done? And is there A procedure for jacking the cab?

Thanks

Glad to hear like the cars there is normally a sticker lol, how much refrigerant do they normally take?

Thanks again.

xamtex
22-06-2013, 03:07 AM
Hi, apologies for late reply,

Thanks for the advice :) so if cab needs jacking, need to open front grill first.
How is that normally done? And is there A procedure for jacking the cab?

Thanks

Glad to hear like the cars there is normally a sticker lol, how much refrigerant do they normally take?

Thanks again.

opening grille varies from truck to truck...some have a release lever in the cab...some have release levers on the grille itself.
jacking cabs is the same..different trucks ..different methods.

as for gas charge....i find they vary between about 850gramms to about 1250 gramms..again depending on the truck.

72DegreesCB
10-07-2013, 08:02 AM
I had a 2004 Silverado with r134a and I used to put around 1300 gms of ***** in the system. But if you're looking for a Ford truck's system, here you'll find all of them: http://www.m-m-s.com/ACKits_Public/Files/R134aCapacities.pdf