PDA

View Full Version : need insulation

jayjay
09-02-2006, 04:51 AM
I'm trying to add insulation to a 3000 sf freezer. Any ideas? I'm have limited acsess to the sides (8") and I can't shut the freezer down. Currently I have a 3" or so foam walls in a skin of aluminum
Thanks

Double V
09-02-2006, 10:27 AM
Hi Jayjay

What sort of thickness of insulation do you require? I would suggest getting some pre manufactured insulation panels & glueing them to the existing ones.

chillin out
09-02-2006, 10:52 PM
If you are resticted to 8inchs on one side, why don`t you put expanding foam between the gap?

Chillin:) :)

jayjay
08-04-2006, 08:15 PM
thanks for getting back to me. I couldn't get logged back in for some reason and I just got your response. The trouble with just adhereing a foam panel on the inside is that I can't shut the unit down. It must remain at 0 degrees. Can't find and adhesive that will work on foam at that temp. Can't screw it on because I'm afraid the cold will just conduct on the screw to the outer walls. Also if the freezer ever shuts down the foam will expand and most likly pop off the walls.
I thought of spraying icyene on the exterior of the box but I was told that me be a problem due to moisture and then I must fire proof the material. If I get 2" of rigid foam on the inside will it make a difference? It will cost close to $10,000.
Thanks

Dan
08-04-2006, 11:52 PM
Use nylon or plastic screws.

dogma
09-04-2006, 07:19 AM
If you are resticted to 8inchs on one side, why don`t you put expanding foam between the gap?

Chillin:) :)

Get some polyeurothane like chillin said. be carefull it does expand.

Karl Hofmann
09-04-2006, 11:45 AM
Buy insulated sandwich panels to the required thickness, if they are below 8 inch thickness, then slide them down the side of the outside, drill the inside to take nylon thread bar so that the hole travels through the original panel and half way through the new panel, using a chemical fixing system similar to the Hilti HIT system, inject the resin into the outer panel, insert the thread bar and allow to cure, when it is cured, bull the panels tight using nuts and washers on the thread bar. http://www.hilti.com/holcom/modules/prcat/prca_navigation.jsp?OID=-9399

Alternatively use plenty of Polyurethane or Epoxy resin adhesive between the two panels and tidy the top up with a bit of rightangled flashing.

Just noticed that Hilti also make fixing pins , specifically for insulation panels, looks like they just hammer in and expand.http://www.hilti.com/holcom/modules/prcat/prca_navigation.jsp?OID=-9895

Just a few ideas that you can play with

Andy
09-04-2006, 12:07 PM
Hi Jayjay:)

It's not that big a freezer, it would be possible to empty it, but if only one wall is damaged this would be overkill.

Make a false wall inside the freezer with polystyrene sheets and plywood casing, heat the area behind this igloo and strip out the old wall and renew. Remove the tempory wall and you will be all back to normal operation.

Kind Regards Andy:)

jayjay
09-04-2006, 04:32 PM
Where can I buy the panels to replace the existing ones. Someone told me due to the age of the panels they are filled with ice and no longer insulating the freezer. ???
Which would be better 2" dow board on the inside or 2-3" Iceyne on the outside? I like the idea of panels on the outside but I don't think there is enough room to work. Freezer goes up to building ceiling. I used about 7000 kwh in 30 days when the temp ouside was average of 40-50 degrees in new york is this about normal?

Andy
09-04-2006, 05:16 PM
Hi jayjay:)

Have a thermographic study done on you store. This is a guy with a thermal imaging camera, not that costly.

Insulation is not the only factor with coldstores, you just can't buy insulation a stick it in. You need a vapour barrier on the outside to stop the moisture from the outside being sucked into the panels. Better to use the proper panels for the job that have a metal vapour barrier on the outside. The seal on the outside is important NOT the inside. Proper insulated panels, with all the joints and flashing seal properly with silicone.

Kind Regards. Andy:)

Karl Hofmann
09-04-2006, 05:19 PM
Injected PU foam generally gives slightly better insulation than extruded polystyrene though the density of the foam has a bearing on the performance of the panel, but constant immersion in water and freezing will destroy the PU whereas the polystyrene is far more resillient to this but will disolve on contact with many solvents

jayjay
09-04-2006, 05:39 PM
How do I find someone to do this themrographic study done? I was planing on installing a panel from Parkland Plastics called insulex http://www.parklandplastics.com/insulex.shtml
on the inside with adhesive if I can find it. and nylon rivets. to the walls and nothing on the ceiling. By doing this I will be making thousands of 3/16" holes all around the freezer. If i do this I'm at the point of no return because I have destroyed my existing panels. I will not be going through the outer skin of the panel. so the outer skin will still be my vapor barrier.
Can anyone recomend someone in my area that can look at this? I'm about 40 minutes north of nyc.

Andy
09-04-2006, 06:43 PM
jayjay:)

what you are doing is a quick fix cosmetic job. Please don't just stick on something to the existing.

Check out the existing by a thermographic survey. (Use an internet type phone book for your area to find the guy with the camera).

If it needs fixed build the tempory false wall, strip out the old wall/section and replace with new fridge panels, properly sealed on the outside.

Excessive energy use from damaged panels is unusual, damaged panels are usually replaced because they are a health hazard (ice everywhere or the ceiling is going to fall in with the weight)

Excessive energy useage thru poor door control and poor plant maintenance is more usual.

Kind Regards. Andy:)

US Iceman
09-04-2006, 11:40 PM
How do I find someone to do this thermographic study done?

Try calling your electric utility company to see if they have a gun you can borrow? They use these for checking hot-spots in starters and other electrical devices.

jayjay
15-04-2006, 01:42 PM
Still confused on what to do about the insulation?
I have a company that claims they can save me over $5,000 per year if I install two of there products. One is Compress Sheild polarized refrigerant oil additive?
And the other is Intellicon RU? its some type of micro processor that reads when the compressor will turn on and off and extends the cycle or something like that?
Any thoughts or help would be great.
Thanks

winfred.dela
08-09-2006, 01:27 AM
I was requested to repair insulation of polyurethane insulated panels.
Nansulate paint was suggested but quite expensive.
The manufacturer (industrial nanotech inc.) have a nice write up and presentation in their website
Anybody who have used this paint as insulation?
Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. . .

winfred.dela
25-12-2006, 09:21 AM
Hi Guys,

Have mentioned this new tech material months ago and have just come across a nice write up about it.

Is this a real thing?

http://www.thenewanatolian.com/tna-20321.html

Hope somebody who have used or come accross of the material share the experience.

Regards
winfred :)