PDA

View Full Version : Hermetic analyzer " ANNIE" how do they work

kengineering
09-02-2006, 02:10 AM
I have an ANNIE and have used it several times to check out compressors for various situations. I have never used it to JOG a stuck compressor until now. It has a reverse switch that acording to the directions can start a compressor in reverse briefly to free a stuck motor. I am familier with the wiring that enables all the other features of this helpful tool, except this one. How does one wire an a/c motor to start with a reverse rotation?

See my thread in Technical discusions and you'll see why i'm asking.
Ken

Brian_UK
09-02-2006, 07:56 PM
Ken, I know that this link isn't for the same kit but the manual does explain the operation...
http://www.ueitest.com/product-ha1.html

and download the 'manual' from the links on that page.

chillin out
09-02-2006, 10:58 PM
There has been talk of this before here..

http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/search.php?searchid=68351

Good piece of kit.

Chillin:) :)

kengineering
10-02-2006, 12:30 AM
This is the unit I have but the manual has been lost for some time now. My HA1 is 10 years old but it appears that no changes have been made Thanks for the link.

Ken

chiller563
10-02-2006, 12:38 AM
Ken, the reverse switch on the annie simply reverses the start and run winding wires, this puts the start capacitor in the run winding circuit. The phase angle created by this causes the motor to start in the reverse direction, momentarily only!!! This can only be achieved with a start capacitor in the circuit.

Chill

fridg
10-02-2006, 06:42 AM
Hi kengineering

i have the full manual for the anne a-12

if you have any problems send me a message.

Regards to the bloke i got this from
(you know who you are)

Carlos11
03-07-2007, 06:01 AM
Hi fridg, I am Carlos11, a new member. I have an Annie A-12 analyzer and need the manual. You would can help me?
Thanks for all.

Thomas Piasecki
01-02-2008, 07:41 PM
Fridg, I too, am interested in obtaining a copy of the manual for the A-12. I don't use mine often enough to remember everything it can do. If you could e-mail me a copy please, I would appreciate it. Thanks-
Tom

The MG Pony
07-02-2008, 03:18 AM
Welcome back to 2006!

HVACGod
19-02-2008, 03:30 PM
The data below is applicable to the ANNIE A12X Export 220-250 Volt-60 Cycle Model. I also have the parts breakdown and internal wiring schematic for this unit.

Section A – To Operate Meters

Ohmmeter

1.Make sure the Analyzer is unplugged and Ampmeter Switch is off, Ampmeter operates on “D” cell battery.
2.Move Ohmmeter Switch to Ohms position.
3.Clip Red & Black Leads together, turn Master Switch on, needle will move to about zero. Adjust to zero Ohms with control inside chord pocket. If meter will not zero, replace battery.
4.Use Red & Black leads to identify winding terminals. Highest Ohms is from Start to Run terminal. Terminal left is Common. Reading from Common highest is Start. The remaining terminal with lowest reading is Run.

Voltmeter

1.Disconnect Analyzer from external power source.
2.Put Ampmeter Switch to “HI” position.
Put Ohmmeter Switch in “POWER” position.
Put Voltmeter Switch in “LINE” position.
Turn Master Switch “OFF”.
3.Isolate Black, Red, White and Yellow from each other and earth.
4.Connect power supply chord of Analyser to voltage connection to be read.
5.The voltage indicated on the Voltmeter is the line voltage supplied to the Analyzer.

Ampmeter

1.Disconnect Analyser from external power source.
2.Put Ohmmeter switch in “POWER” position.
Put Ampmeter switch to “OFF” position.
Put Master Switch in “ON” position.
3.Connect the apparatus under test to the Red and Black leads. Isolate the Yellow and White leads from each other and ground.
4.Connect the Analyser to a power supply of the correct voltage for the apparatus being tested.
5.Put Ampmeter Switch to “HI” position, read up to 25A apparatus being tested. After apparatus has started switch to “LO” position, if current draw on the ampmeter is under 5A.
6. If line voltage is desired while measuring amperage, place voltmeter switch in the “LINE” position.

SECTION B – TO CHECK A HERMETICALLY SEALED UNIT

1.Remove all external wiring from the terminals of the sealed unit.
2.Connect the Red Lead to the Run Terminal, White Lead to the Start Terminal, Black Lead to the Common Terminal, and the Yellow lead solidly to the Frame.
3.Make certain Master Switch; Ampmeter Switch and Voltmeter switch are off. DO NOT CONNECT ANALYSER TO EXTERNAL POWER.
4.Put Ohmmeter Switch in “OHMS” position and press Start Button. If resistance is indicated, (movement of ohmmeter) the windings are shorted to the frame. Replace unit if this condition exists.
5.Put Master Switch in “ON” position to check resistance of Run winding. “Reverse” position checks resistance of Start windings. Replace unit if windings are open or earthed.

SECTION C – TO START A HERMETICALLY SEALED UNIT

1.Remove Yellow Lead from frame and isolate it from earth. Put Ampmeter Switch to “HI” position. Put Ohmmeter Switch to “POWER” position. Put Master Switch in “OFF” position. Put Capacitor Selection Switch in proper range (see selection G.)
2.Connect Analyser to power supply of correct voltage for the compressor. Power Light will come on when the Analyser is energised. If no light or a very dull glow of Power Light check fuse in chord pocket. Replace if necessary. Line Voltage can be read by putting Voltmeter Switch in line position.
3.Hold Start Button “IN” put Master Switch in “ON” position. Release button when unit starts. Turn Master Switch off if unit fails to start in 3 seconds. If unit operated satisfactorily the trouble is with the capacitor, relay, control, overload or other external wiring. Put Ampmeter Switch and Voltmeter Switch to desired ranges for further tests. These tests include low voltage or high current draws, those that are above rated amperage. If unit fails to start it is stuck, see section D. Disregard capacitor and relay bulbs while making this test.

SECTION D – TO REVERSE A STUCK OR FROZEN UNIT

1.Proceed as outlined in Section C, steps one and two
2.Holding start button in, quickly move master switch between “ON and “REVERSE” position several times. If unit starts let it run for approximately a minute then turn it off.
3.Now try to start the unit as outlined in section C, Step 3. If unit now fails to start it is beyond help and must be replaced.
IF FUSE BLOWS WAIT FIVE MINUTES AND REPLACE FUSE INSIDE CHORD POCKET.

SECTION E – TO TEST CAPACITORS

1.Make sure Master Switch and Ampmeter Switch are off. Put Ohmmeter Switch in Power position.
2.Disconnect capacitor from all external wiring including bleed resistors. Discharge capacitor with light bulb or bleed resistor so as not to blow fuse on internally fused capacitors.
3.Connect Black and Yellow Leads to capacitor terminals. Connect tester to power source.
4.Place Ampmeter Switch in “HI” position and note reaction of light.
1.If light goes on then out the capacitor has taken a charge. New capacitors may keep the light glowing for a few minutes.
2.If no light the capacitor is open.
3.If light stays on then capacitor is shorted.
4.If light decreases but does not go out the capacitor is leaking.
5.When light goes out press capacity button for mFd reading of start capacitors. (Do not press button if light remains on indicating a shorted capacitor.) Discard capacitors that vary from 20% from rating. For small start and run capacitors use “LO” range on Ampmeter.
6.(Optional) The Analyser can be left on the job as an emergency substitute capacitor. Connect the Yellow and White Leads to the leads that normally go from the systems wiring to the capacitor DO NOT PLUG THE ANALYSER IN, put Master Switch on and set Capacitor Switch to mFd needed. All other switches should be left off or in the centre position.

SECTION F – TO TEST POTENTIAL RELAYS ONLY

1.Make sure Master Switch, Ampmeter Switch, and Voltmeter Switch are off. Put Ohmmeter Switch in relay position. Turn volts control all the way down (counter clockwise).
2.Connect White lead to relay terminal #1, Black lead to #2, and the Red lead to #3. CONNECT ANALYSER TO 230 VOLT POWER SOURCE.
3.Turn Master Switch “ON” and set voltmeter switch to relay position. Relay light must come on. If no light points are open, replace relay.
4.Increase volts until relay “picks up”. Note voltage just before “pick up”, this is the “pick up” voltage. If light remains on points are frozen and relay should be replaced. If relay does not “pick up” at maximum rated volts, the coil is bad and the relay should be replaced.
5.Decrease voltage until relay “drops out”. Note voltage just before “drop out”, this is “drop out” volts. Light must come back on when relay drops out. If light remains on the points are frozen or sticky and relay should be replaced. Compare pick up and drop out voltages with the information supplied by the relay manufacturer.

SECTION G – 240 VOLT CAPACITOR INFORMATION

1.Units up to 2 hp use 25-80 mFd range
2.Units of 1 - 1 hp use 85 – 145 mFd range
3.Units over 1 hp use 150 – 200 mFd range

SECTION H – RELAY WIRING INFORMATION

G..E. RELAY – Lead from post #1 goes to Start - Lead from post # 3 goes to run, Other post is common

Delco Relay – Lead from post # S goes to start – Lead from post # M goes to run Other post is common

fridg
23-02-2008, 02:09 AM
Good post HVACGod , this link to megaupload may be useful too.

Operating manual download.

Annie A 12 operating manual (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OYE7K88K)

dogma
02-03-2008, 07:10 PM
Sup RE. Been a while. Hey fridg, I was drinking with a guy bout 2 months back and he'd just moved house. Guess what was in his shed for the last 15 years.... That's right, an annie. He took it to the dump, along with all his gear. He's a rep now and didn't need it.

He offered to build one with me....one day i might get around to it. he worked at your work years and years ago.