PDA

View Full Version : thermo acoustic refrigerator: problem with stack heating

jackal
07-02-2006, 03:21 PM
Hello I'm a BSc physics student at exeter university (UK), and I'm working on a thermo acoustic refrigerator.

I don't know how much you know about thermo acoustic refrigeration but I'm building what is called a TADTAR (Thermo Acoustically Driven Thermo Acoustic Refrigerator).

Basically the device is a pressure vessel with two (Reticulated Vitreous Carbon) inserts called stacks. One stack acts as a heat engine, in that you heat one end of it and it emmits sound. This sound wave oscillates across an identical stack at the other end and "pumps" small packets of heat across it to induct a temperature gradient and so a net cooling.

My problem is heating the prime mover stack tothe required 400 C

The pressure vessel has an inside diameter of 39mm so whatever is heating it has to be small. I'm considering using a nickel crome element but electrically insulating it from the RVC stack would be hard.

Does anyone have any suggestion?

Thanks for your help,

Jack

FreezerGeezer
07-02-2006, 04:34 PM
Hi Jack, & welcome to the forum. How about a very powerful torch bulb? ;)
Could you post the fuller explanation of the system that you showed me here for the guys, or is it hush-hush?

jackal
07-02-2006, 04:49 PM
Hi Freezergeezer,

Yes I was concidering a powerful torch bulb, as its electrically insulated, but it has to be quite small.

I'll post some more info on this later on as ive got to be off in a mo.

cheers!

Rob S
08-02-2006, 03:25 AM
Cartridge heater. You can get them in what ever wattage you want. Most are rated to 1500F

Luke Z
04-09-2006, 06:01 AM
There is a forum specific to thermoacoustic refrigeration systems.

w ww.mecheng. adelaide.edu.au/anvc/thermoacoustics/forum/

We would be happy to address / respond to the question there.

Lc_shi
04-09-2006, 07:08 AM
It's very interesting topic. hope it going here:)

regards
LC

nh3wizard
04-09-2006, 05:03 PM
There is a forum specific to thermoacoustic refrigeration systems.

w ww.mecheng. adelaide.edu.au/anvc/thermoacoustics/forum/

We would be happy to address / respond to the question there.

Why there? It could be benifical on this forum.:confused: