PDA

View Full Version : Seawater Cooled Condenser Leak

Mayball
23-05-2013, 05:19 AM
I have found a substantial leak in the seawater cooled condenser on a 3 ton AquaAir chiller boat air conditioner. The condenser is a parallel flow 90-10 Cupronickel seawater condenser. This condenser is not fitted with a cathodic protection zinc as are some on engine driven compressor systems, but I have never had one leak before. I assume the failure is due to galvanic corrosion, but I won't know for sure until I have installed a replacement condenser and cut into the old one. Any experience with failures on this type of condenser?

Tesla
23-05-2013, 05:49 AM
Hi Mayball
good to see an oldie on the forum. Haven't had a condenser leak experience but check the water flow rate on the unit compared to others. You will see either erosion or corrosion when you pull the other one out.

Mayball
23-05-2013, 06:05 AM
The specs call for a minimum 12 gal/min flow rate, and looking at the overboard flow I am sure this pump exceeds that.

Tesla
23-05-2013, 07:19 AM
This could be the problem. I have seen (not on sea vessels) excess flow cause erosion through cavitation on water cooled condensers on air con chillers before. No doubt you will see when the condensed is pulled out. Might be a good idea to measure it?