PDA

View Full Version : Warranty issues using Solar Power

rubybree
22-05-2013, 10:42 AM
I've also asked a similar question on the domestic refrigeration page, but assume it could happen with Air Conditioining.

I've been asked by a client to look at a nearly new (few weeks old) Hotpoint fridge freezer that is not working. She has called a service engineer under warranty, who informed her that the warranty was invalid due to the power source originating from Solar Panels.

Has anyone had similar problems with Air Con warranty being invalidated? I dont know a lot about Solar Technology, but cant see what difference where the power comes from. The Solar batteries are backed up by a generator to recharge them when the sun doesn't shine

Please bear in mind I'm based in Spain where there's more chance of 'world peace' than a company refunding money on a faulty appliance.

Spencer.Guy
22-05-2013, 06:56 PM
The first thing would be to get the customer to contact Hotpoint and ask them to put it in writing that the warranty is invalid.

Is it an Off grid setup, i.e no mains at all?

rubybree
23-05-2013, 08:26 AM
Yes, it has no mains at all. I'll ask the client to contact Hotpoint Spain and see what happens

rubybree
27-05-2013, 01:02 PM
Hotpoint spain were pointing to a warranty clause with regard to requiring 'suitable power supply'. The next step is for the client to go to court, which in spain will see me out to retirement. One thing I didn't mention on this page, was that the original Hotpoint engineer told my client that it was a condenser problem. I've took that to mean anything at the back of the fridge freezer (ie outdoor unit on an Air Con). As it looks as though there is an impasse between client and Hotpoint. I've started to look into it a bit more and 'condensador' translates to 'capacitor' in english. I feel a bit stupid at the moment as I know its an easy fix. Can I up the rating on the capacitor as I only carry 25-35mf?

MikeHolm
27-05-2013, 07:05 PM
They will have to check to see if the PV inverter is full sine wave or modified sine wave. MSW will kill motors pretty quickly.

rubybree
27-05-2013, 07:56 PM
Mike, to check the waves, does this need an oscilloscope? (i love buying tools but this one is a bit too much for me) Should there be a warning for MSW inverters saying that if you intend to use any motors, then your warranties are void? I keep getting asked about Solar power but have backed off in the past but must admit I'm starting to get interested in the technology.

MikeHolm
28-05-2013, 12:41 AM
Nope, just the name and model of the inverter will do. If you know it then it is a quick check on the interweb.