PDA

View Full Version : HOWDEN compressor shaft sealing and bearing

Little Prince
21-05-2013, 01:01 PM
Dear All,
Does anybody knows about bearing (Axial and Radial) and shaft sealing system possibilities in XRV and WRV stage compressors? for example if it is possible to have roller bearing on WRV and double acting seal on XRV stage?

Howdensupport
24-05-2013, 08:23 AM
Hi, Howden XRV compressors are supplied only with radial roller bearings, angular contact thrust bearings and single seal options. WRV compressors only have pressurised sleeve radial bearings, and depending on size can have angular contact thrust or hydrodynamic tilting pad thrust bearings, all WRV range compressors can be offered with Plan 52, 53, or Plan 72 double seal options.

to be specific on your questions, "it is possible to have roller bearing on WRV and double acting seal on XRV stage?" the answer is no to both.

RANGER1
24-05-2013, 10:02 PM
Howden support, I have only really worked on older WRV compressors over the years. I recently overhauled a WRVI255 & it has what appears to be a larger balance piston behind shaft seal, unlike the older WRV, can you shed any light on it please. Its the full diameter of the seal/bearing bore.

Gerben
26-05-2013, 11:40 AM
Hello Little Prince,
the answer to the roller bearings on the WRV is correct, it is not possible: you would have to make too many changes to the housings as well as the shafts.
The double shaft seal on the XRV is possible, as we have installed them on several Howden, Grasso and Sabroe compressors. There are only small changes needed like some new distance rings behind the cover. You could keep the same coupling. Between the two seals there will be buffering oil, which is pressurized with air or nitrogen. This oil is cooled by water or another cooling substance.
Send me a PM for more information.

Gerben