PDA

View Full Version : Gas powered vrv's versus absorbtion chillers

eggs
05-02-2006, 10:13 PM
I will post this in the chit chat section because my knowledge on the subject amounts to just chit chat.

What i would like to know is this:

If a building does not have adequate power to run a std vrv or chiller system, is the gas driven vrv the only solution ? or can an a(d)bsorption chiller be employed? Is this ecconomical/possible.

Don't worry, i havn't stumbled upon a big job:eek: , i am just curious.

cheers

eggs

Brian_UK
05-02-2006, 10:27 PM
I've fitted gas fired absorption chillers where the power supply was deficient, no problems.

When you consider that the smaller ones run off a 13amp plug top they're quite good...

frank
06-02-2006, 05:20 PM
You could always consider CHP.
This would solve both the lack of electrical energy, provide absorption cooling from the waste heat and you also get heating and hot water :)

Peter_1
06-02-2006, 06:16 PM
Who makes a gas driven VRV?
Is that the unit I saw recently from Sanyo and....forgot the other one (First symptoms of becoming old appears...I forget almost everything)

eggs
06-02-2006, 08:56 PM
ahemmmm?

sorry Frank, whats "CHP":o

cheers

eggs

frank
06-02-2006, 10:32 PM
ahemmmm?

sorry Frank, whats "CHP":o

cheers

eggs
Combined Heat and Power.

basically a gas, oil or deisel powered generator (for the electricity) and the waste heat is used to provide the rest :)

By all accounts they are now making them quite small to suit residential applications

davej
07-02-2006, 06:55 PM
hi

Mitsi heavey industries also make one , their new version is supposed to be the dogs dangly bits. and due out soon

star882
08-02-2006, 05:12 AM
Interesting idea: use a biodiesel generator to sell power to the utility and use the heat to run an absorption chiller to cool your house.
How's that: an A/C that *makes* money when it's used.