PDA

View Full Version : Fitting Split Outdoor units in UK/USA

rubybree
18-05-2013, 10:33 AM
I'm just curious as to how outdoor units are fitted in the UK and US with regard to health and safety. In Spain, a lot of installers just put the unit on their shoulders and walk up the ladder. I personally have a table winch where you place the unit on a bench and then wind it up, but even that is heavy and cumbersome. I also use an electric winch/pulley/ladder combination, using an extra set of ladders to pull the unit up. Are there any other options?

install monkey
18-05-2013, 02:01 PM
in the uk it depends on the site where its going- if its a customers house, then 3.5kw its on the shoulders, if its a site thats keen on health and safety then its a powered winch, stopped doing 5kw units on shoulder as it gets a bit twitchy on ladders

refaircon
18-05-2013, 03:55 PM
Genie lifter

install monkey
18-05-2013, 04:02 PM
http://www.srw.co.uk/cgi-bin/bb000003.pl?PRODUCTPAGE=Power_Hoist%2ehtml

install monkey
18-05-2013, 04:04 PM
http://www.hirestation.co.uk/tool-hire/Material%20Handling/Material%20Lifting/360020/

joe-ice
18-05-2013, 08:54 PM
seen guys here years ago using some kind gas powered hydraulic lift,they just lifted unit onto small platform turned on small gas bottle(probably nitrogen ) and up they went ,never seen outdoors going up as quick and you could carry the platform with one hand.Remember an awful feeling of jealousy at time we were lucky to be given old scaffold and drag them up

stufus
18-05-2013, 10:01 PM
THE JOB.http://www.workingatheightltd.com/material_handing_lifts/genie_super_hoists/genie_super_hoists.php
Had one until recently ,got a rush of blood to the head and sold it to a mate.
Uses C02 ,paid for itself half way through first job I used it on.
Cheers
Stu

seen guys here years ago using some kind gas powered hydraulic lift,they just lifted unit onto small platform turned on small gas bottle(probably nitrogen ) and up they went ,never seen outdoors going up as quick and you could carry the platform with one hand.Remember an awful feeling of jealousy at time we were lucky to be given old scaffold and drag them up

install monkey
18-05-2013, 10:12 PM
hss do em- for lifting ducting and ideally cassettes, cant do condensers as the platform is 4 ft off the deck

joe-ice
18-05-2013, 10:28 PM
THE JOB.http://www.workingatheightltd.com/material_handing_lifts/genie_super_hoists/genie_super_hoists.php
Had one until recently ,got a rush of blood to the head and sold it to a mate.
Uses C02 ,paid for itself half way through first job I used it on.
Cheers
Stu

Ya an older version of that but it was only about 2ft off the ground,it was some machine, at the time everything we done was using the donkey style of hoisting

rubybree
19-05-2013, 01:05 PM
hss do em- for lifting ducting and ideally cassettes, cant do condensers as the platform is 4 ft off the deck I think thats the one I have now and it just seems daft to have to lift something 4ft when you may just want to get to 8ft. I keep coming up with heath robinson type ideas but have yet to get one to do everything I want. In Spain, some of the wall brackets come with pre-drilled holes in the side of the uprights. This must be designed for something in mind.

install monkey
19-05-2013, 04:29 PM
the wind up winch is better suited for condenser mounting- as its more sturdy, best way is to wind it up then fit the horizontal leg of the bracket under the elevated condenser then lower- the gas fired lifter is ideal for cassette's /ducted units as you can centralise them whilst elevated- be carefull though as they can leak and before u know it ur cassette has dropped about a foot!!!

glenn1340
20-05-2013, 05:55 PM
I`ve used a Genie hoist before now, they`re a samll folding wind up fork lift that can fit in a Transit and go trough most doorways. The forks can be turned upside down to enable a cassette to be wound close to a ceiling.
I was moving a small cold room condensing unit from 10 foot up a wall a few months back but as I only had a pair of steps I told the owner I`d need a tower to get it down. "No problem " he said and a couple of minutes he came back with an Indian guy who climbed the steps and, balancing the unit on his head, climbed back down. I didn`t ask for the method statement.